PDA

View Full Version : found turtle dove

DiscusMad
Sun Feb 18, 2007, 01:07 AM
I found a young turtle dove and took it to the vet and they said they would only put it down if I gave it to them. It looks a bit sick its a little bit bald under the wings and can't fly very well I was able to catch it very easly. anybody can give me advice on how to look after it untill its well or an expert
would like it to care for???

Merrilyn
Sun Feb 18, 2007, 02:46 AM
Well done on rescuing it DM. It would have been kitty dinner by now if you hadn't.

I honestly don't know much about turtle doves, except that are are wandering around my back yard all the time, pecking at something in the lawn.

It was probably still being fed by it's parents, so doesn't know how to feed itself. I guess you could try with some small worms you dug up from the garden, buy you'll have to hand feed it. Don't think it will know to pick them up from the bottom of the cage. Other thing you can try is some ground up seed mix from the pet shop. They should stock something to feed baby birds. Feed it in an eyedropper with a little water added.

It should be eating on it's own in a few weeks, and then you can release it.

Sorry, that's the best I can offer.

Hopefully someone with some more bird related knowledge will answer.

DiscusEden
Sun Feb 18, 2007, 03:55 AM
Any idea how young? Does it still have any fluffy down, or does it have feathers? Why do you think it's young?

What makes you say it's sick? What's it doing?

How long ago did you find it?

Generally, if you find a bird, you should keep it in a cardboard box, lid closed, with a towel on the bottom and airholes put in, for the first 2-4 hours, in a warm, quiet room with the door shut. The box should be big enought for the bird to open its wings. More birds die of shock than anything else. Before leaving the bird, you can make a solution of honey water or sugar water, and give the bird a few drops out of a syringe.

After that follow LR's advice. I've kept them in the laundry before with no probs, other than the cleaning up.

HTH

DiscusMad
Sun Feb 18, 2007, 04:58 AM
thanks guys for replying and the advice I found a guy who is with the macathur avery club and he took it and told me that its might of had a fall from the nest and brused its self.

I thought it was sick because I could catch it and when i looked at it the feathers were a little mangy and it had some ticks on it that I had removed.Phil said he has some "lovely doves" and they feed anything and will put it in with them and in 2 weeks it should be fine.

I'm glad I had found somebody to take it because I'm clueless about looking after birds.

thanks again guys

DiscusEden
Sun Feb 18, 2007, 05:09 AM
That's fantastic. I'm really impressed that you tracked him down, well done! For someone who describes themselves as clueless, you've done a great job!

I'm glad to hear the bird's going to be fine.

DiscusMad
Sun Feb 18, 2007, 01:03 PM
all I can say is I love the internet for info