PDA

View Full Version : Bifuran

Xtreme
Sat Feb 17, 2007, 06:40 AM
Hi All,
Was just wondering if anyone knows the exact dosage rates for using this product.
Plus what type of results did you get from using it

Cheers Wayne

samir
Sat Feb 17, 2007, 07:33 AM
are you guys stocking it ?
here's some info from a website in the us that sells it. active ingredient is 100%
hth

Bifuran is a mixture of Nitrofurazone (80%) and Furazolidone (20%). Bifuran possesses bacteriostatic, bacteriocidal and antimicrobial properties useful for treating and controlling bacterial and sporozonoan diseases. It is indicated for the control of Aeromonas spp.,Vibrio spp., and other bacterial pathogens. Bifuran treats external diseases AND internal (systemic) diseases. It can be used as a bath (or dip), a total pond treatment or it can be given orally. It is very effective for controlling ulcers, fin rot, mouth rot and tail rot. Bifuran is a very effective total pond treatment.

Bifuran will be an additional ingredient in DebrideRX medicated food starting in mid-2006. Bifuran is a very cost effective treatment for koi and goldfish. When used as a total pond treatment, 100 grams treats 1,000 gallons. 1 kilo (2.2 lbs.) treats 10,000 gallons. As a dip, it is dosed at 100mg/gallon.

fishgeek
Sat Feb 17, 2007, 08:02 AM
as it is a compound and i think a trade name i dont have text dose's

each component is dosed at

furaazolidone 1-10mgs/l prolonged bath
or 50-100mgs/kg in feed
it is absorbed from water and is instable as a solution in light, there is some concern that it maybe toxic to scaleless fish

nitrofurazone
100mgs/l for a 30 minute bath
or 2-5mgs/l as a prolonged bath
again absorbed from water and inactivated by bright light in solution
also thought to be toxic to scaleless fish

furazone green is also made by a few manufacturer in the states with these two ingredients and mrth blue i believe

i am unsure whether this combination of antibiotics is synergistic in anyway and the individual dose's may be altered by there combination

andrew

Xtreme
Sat Feb 17, 2007, 10:04 AM
Thanks guys for the info,
Samir have you used it before?
Do you think its a good product?
Im talking about the one in the silver packet(its all in Japanese i think)
i think they are 5gm and treat 100tr?only a couple of numbers on the packet :wink:

Cheers Wayne

samir
Sat Feb 17, 2007, 10:49 AM
Never used it for fish, Its usually used as a coccodiosis preventative in poultry. I guess its effectiveness depends on its use (or misuse) in the aquarium trade. From various forums the feedback is that its moderately effective.
If you're selling it I'd like to buy some.

Noddy65
Sat Feb 17, 2007, 11:04 AM
Hi Andrew
Is it just me or do you get a funny feeling in your stomach when you hear that something is "bacteriostatic and bacteriocidal".
Wouldn't one reduce the effectiveness of the other?
We were always taught not to use a bacteriostatic with a bacteriocidal as the efectiveness of one greatly reduces the efficacy of the other?

Mike

Xtreme
Sat Feb 17, 2007, 12:32 PM
Hi all,
Most of the feedback i got from this product was good,
So i will endeavour to get more of this product
Samir i have a box of the stuff and i think theres about 12 or so packets in there
You want a packet to try?
I think each packet treats 100lrs, so treating in sml tank should show some results, I think it is a 5 day treatment, not sure :?
I will try in 50lt approx tank over 5 days.

Cheers Wayne

fishgeek
Sat Feb 17, 2007, 01:41 PM
mike , that is the theory
i think the web has lots of people that misuse specific words, we just notice the one's we have been educated about

and i think bacteriacidial and static are not as clear cut as they used to be, certainly clindamycin has both effects dependant on dose
and to my logic anything that we stop from reproducing/growing is going to die at some stage

andrew

Noddy65
Sun Feb 18, 2007, 12:00 AM
I like this line:

and to my logic anything that we stop from reproducing/growing is going to die at some stage

Certainly makes sense to me.

Mike

Xtreme
Sun Feb 18, 2007, 01:35 AM
Hi all,
This is the product that i have :
i just cant read it :D
Can anyone help me with translating it