PDA

View Full Version : Posaqua Aussie Brine Shrimp -v- Hikari Bio-Pure Brine Shrimp

enigmatic
Sat Feb 17, 2007, 06:26 AM
Hi,

Does anyone know the difference between these products?

I have been buying the Hikari but have found that whilst my Discus will eat the Hikari, they only pick at it and take some time to do so.

If I use the Posaqua brine shrimp, they flock to the feeding point and the stuff is gone very quickly and they want more of the same.

Just wondering if anyone else has a similar experience?

Cheers,

Chris

Proteus
Sat Feb 17, 2007, 06:29 AM
I believe the Posaqua is Australian made and in general is a lot fresher than the Hikari product.

Given that all the Hikari frozen foods are imported from Asia plus the fact that shipments only come in a couple of times per year means that there is little control over batch freshness.

Although, Hikari is the only frozen Bloodworm that I can use, anything else and I get an allergic reaction

samir
Sat Feb 17, 2007, 06:29 AM
:shock: I'll just buy the posaqua next time, though my fish have no problem with the hikari.

Robdog
Sat Feb 17, 2007, 06:46 AM
I think the Posaqua stuff is really good quality. I don't notice any difference when the fish go for it though.

Any truth to the rumour of the imported frozen foods sometimes being thawed on arrival in customs hence the foil packing always coming away???

fish_r
Sat Feb 17, 2007, 07:06 AM
the posaqua discus deluxe seems pretty good too.
even has banana in it :)
my last lot of hikari shrimp had definately been defrosted cause some of the holes in the tray were only half full...

samir
Sat Feb 17, 2007, 07:21 AM
i got my hikari BS in perfect condition, i think stuff gets ruined on the trip between the wholesaler and the lfs.

Ben
Sat Feb 17, 2007, 09:02 AM
IMO there is only 2 brine shrimp to use.

Live brine shrimp and Hikari's spirulina enriched frozen BS.

Robdog
Sat Feb 17, 2007, 03:40 PM
I've used the Spirulina frozen BS and the fish absolutely mauled it to bits. Didn't notice any added benefits from the spirulina but it went down extremely well.

Ben, is it suitable for marine too??

mistakes r crucial
Sat Feb 17, 2007, 08:49 PM
We were told by the wholesaler we buy our frozen food from that the imported BS and BW go through a sterilization process (think its called Gamma Ray) when it hits Australian shores and sometimes it completely stuffs much of the batch. This is the cause of the foil lifting off the packaging.

MAC

enigmatic
Sat Feb 17, 2007, 09:40 PM
the posaqua discus deluxe seems pretty good too.
even has banana in it :)
my last lot of hikari shrimp had definately been defrosted cause some of the holes in the tray were only half full...

My Discus don't seem to like this but I must give it a go again. My Hikari Mysis shrimp had definitely melted as well as they were in a right state.

enigmatic
Sat Feb 17, 2007, 09:41 PM
IMO there is only 2 brine shrimp to use.

Live brine shrimp and Hikari's spirulina enriched frozen BS.

Hi Ben,

I'm trying to get my hands on some brine shrimp eggs so I can follow your DIY articles.

I've not seen the spirulina enriched frozen so will have to keep an eye out for them.

enigmatic
Sat Feb 17, 2007, 09:44 PM
Just out of interest, what do people pay for the Posaqua frozen brine shrimp.

I got charged $12.80 by the LFS in Erina for 2 packets yesterday.

Ben
Sat Feb 17, 2007, 10:43 PM
Ben, is it suitable for marine too??

Perfect! It is good for both FW and SW fish.

fish_r
Sat Feb 17, 2007, 10:46 PM
My Discus don't seem to like this but I must give it a go again. My Hikari Mysis shrimp had definitely melted as well as they were in a right state.
mine didnt either when i first started feeding it, but now there more used to it i only feed it about 2-3 times a week though...

Just out of interest, what do people pay for the Posaqua frozen brine shrimp.
I got charged $12.80 by the LFS in Erina for 2 packets yesterday.
i pay $22 for 5 pkts @ a time

samir
Wed Feb 28, 2007, 02:18 PM
i wont tell you how much I pay :P
Xtreme should have it at a reasonable price.

fish_r
Thu Apr 19, 2007, 12:56 PM
just an update on the posaqua stuff, they have changed the formulation on the discus deluxe and it is much finer now and looks like just beefheart to me now, it's a completely different colour to now. i put it in the tank and it clouds the tank up something fearce.
i emailed them asking them what changes have been made, as they list the ingredients on there site and a week later i still have no reply... my lfs is also asking the same question for me...
i loved the other stuff, but if this new formulation stays the same iv'e gotta stop using it :(
also think theres a lot more water in the posaqua brine shrimp than the Hikari stuff, gone back to Hikari shrimp now too...

enigmatic
Sat Apr 21, 2007, 04:10 AM
I'm still feeding the posaqua as they are a big hit and taken very well by my Discus.

Have also grown my first batch of live shrimp to adult so have started feeding those to my Discus.

fiftycal
Fri Apr 27, 2007, 07:06 AM
My LFS didnt have any posaqua, so I bought some Hikari spirulina BS. $18 for 3 packets

I gave some to my discus but they didnt seem too interested. Its their 1st feeding with BS though. The other fish absolutely devoured it