PDA

View Full Version : feeding discus frozen food?

coco
Fri Feb 16, 2007, 09:31 AM
should all frozen food , such as blood worm ect, be thawed out before given to discus and if so what is the reason for this .

cheers

samir
Fri Feb 16, 2007, 09:33 AM
previously i thought one should, now I couldn't care less.

scott bowler
Fri Feb 16, 2007, 09:54 AM
coco if you hold it in your fingers in the water it will thaw and you fish will come and eat it from your fingers , they will get to know you better

RJ_Archer
Fri Feb 16, 2007, 08:24 PM
or u could realy **** them off by sitting the food on the glass lid and watch them try and get it lol.(evil laugh)
But the best way iv found is to hold in with ya fingers and let them nibble on it, its not so bad with discus but wen u got large cichlids and u try to do that they bit ya fingers.

mcloughlin2
Fri Feb 16, 2007, 10:27 PM
should all frozen food , such as blood worm ect, be thawed out before given to discus and if so what is the reason for this .

cheers

I find its too messy if you let it thaw and sink to the bott0m. I just throw mine in the tank and the fish seem to love nibbling bits of it. If it is a good quality frozen food it should stay frozen long enough for the fish to eat most of it whilst its floating.

the german
Sat Feb 17, 2007, 12:47 AM
i do the same as mcloughlin2 said.
i never saw any problems with that

shawn barker
Wed Feb 21, 2007, 05:40 PM
The frozen blocks I feed mine on are small enough (about 15X15X15mm cubes) to thaw out pretty quick in the warm water of the tank. They all scoff it down like they have never seen food before! Greedy sods!

richardbrook01
Sun Feb 25, 2007, 07:19 AM
My fish will only eat the frozen cube, they go for it like they have never eaten.... if I thaw it out they just are not that bothered

So I would say feed the fish frozen food, I have been doing it now for 18 months and the fish are fine and still love the frozen block

MACCA
Thu Mar 08, 2007, 11:43 AM
I agree with all the above. Mine love it frozen!