PDA

View Full Version : WTB: Indian Almond Leaf (Terminalia Catappa)

XPLOSV
Thu Feb 15, 2007, 11:20 PM
Hi Guys,

As topic, please pm me if you have any in stock for sales or give away.

I cant seem to find this any where in NSW.

Thanks

Ken

k0b0i
Thu Feb 15, 2007, 11:38 PM
Check our sponsors

http://www.ageofaquariums.com.au/category39_1.htm

Want to go halves in a 10pk? :)

XPLOSV
Fri Feb 16, 2007, 12:10 AM
LOL lets do it, $5 each just for the sake of buying.

Whats ur location in Syd?

Im @ Ultimo

Cheers

Ken

k0b0i
Fri Feb 16, 2007, 12:22 AM
hahaha not worth buying just 1ok. 10pk (60 sachets) is @ $80

halves would be $40 and we get 5 packets (30 sachets) each.

sent you a PM anyways

;)

Th0mas
Fri Feb 16, 2007, 01:34 AM
Should be able to order from Singapore, flaggy got them from Singapore through EBay, wasn't expensive. The package is clearly labeled and our custom has no problem with it.

Thomas.

flaggy
Fri Feb 16, 2007, 01:53 AM
Yeah, I bought 200 leaves for $17 (plus postage, another $15) from this ebay shop [LINK REMOVED]

No problems at all coming through customs.

Maybe it was coincidental, but I bought 3 pairs of dwarf cichlids, and they all spawned in about 7-10 days with the leaves in the tanks. Also good source of infusoria for the fry.

Proteus
Fri Feb 16, 2007, 04:25 AM
FYI, It is actually unlawful to import Catappa leaves into Australia without appropriate permits and/or documentation.

It is not Customs that you need to worry about, it is AQIS

By failing to declare any plant matter you risk the following if caught:

* A fine of $220; or
* You could be prosecuted and fined more than $60,000 and risk 10 years' jail.

Obviousy the latter of these would only apply if it was a signifacant amount of material that needed to be declared.

Items such as this pose a high quarantine risk but may be allowed if accompanied by an Import Permit (issued by AQIS prior to arrival), or with treatment in Australia to make the item safe. Alternatively items will be seized and destroyed by AQIS if found.

What can't be mailed to Australia?

Dried Plant Material

* tea containing items such as seeds or fruit skin (for example citrus and apple peel)
* remedies and medicines containing herbs, seeds, bark, fungi and dried plant material
* popping corn and raw nuts

DAFF - AQIS (http://www.daff.gov.au/content/output.cfm?ObjectID=3513E665-C914-4401-BEFEEF6E521F00A0#5)

XPLOSV
Fri Feb 16, 2007, 04:31 AM
So I guess I cant make this order from amy (ebay)?

chrissyoscar
Fri Feb 16, 2007, 12:22 PM
I have some leaves if you are interested.
I think I have about 100 but will need to count them. Give me a day or so and I'll confirm how much I have and what price I want.

thanks.. Oscar

chrissyoscar
Fri Feb 16, 2007, 10:06 PM
Ok I have 83 leaves

25 - large
28 - medium
30- small

you can have the lot for $25 plus postage

Thanks.. Oscar

chrissyoscar
Fri Feb 16, 2007, 10:56 PM
SOLD

Sorry Ken had a friend see the post and wanted them.

Oscar

flaggy
Fri Feb 16, 2007, 11:48 PM
Hi Proteus - indeed you're correct! I made sure that the ebay seller was going to make all the appropriate declarations, etc. In fact, my parcel arrived certainly did arrive with a declaration that it was "Dried Catappa leaves for aquarium use". If I remember correctly, it was a green sticker attached to the parcel. So, whoever was doing the inspection had ample opportunity to chuck it, didn't quite mind losing $30 of goods if that happened. Wasn't going to risk doing something illegal for a bunch of leaves.

But for any others wanting to get this type of thing, make sure the sender knows what they are doing!

Are there any Aussie sources - are these trees found up in the north where there is tropical climate?

Cheers

chrissyoscar
Fri Feb 16, 2007, 11:59 PM
I also got mine from overeseas but they were held up in customs.
I got a letter stating that they will destroyed within 30 days unless I could give a reason why they shouldn't be.
I contacted customs told them they were for aquarium use only and for some reason they were released and sent to me.
Had a second lot come from the same seller but they didn't make it and were destroyed staight away. I got a letter stating that they were illegal to import and will be destroyed.
Not sure why the first lot were released but they were.
The funny thing is the cattapa leaf comes from the Indian almond tree (common name) and these are all over QLD but nobody is collecting and selling the leaf.

Robdog
Sat Feb 17, 2007, 02:17 AM
http://www.aquariumsuppliesaustralia.com.au/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=2726

Proteus
Sat Feb 17, 2007, 04:15 AM
flaggy, Oscar... I was simply stating the risks involved. Obviously if done properly at both ends there is nothing to be concerned about, however for those that arent aware of the situation it pays to be careful.

I believe Ben at AOA has some in stock, ASA should have some within the next week.

chrissyoscar
Sat Feb 17, 2007, 04:56 AM
I agree you with Proteus that's why I said that the first lot i recieved was held up in customs then released but the second lot was destroyed.
I don't think the leaves are the problem it's what could be amongst the leaves, insects, mites, etc etc.
As stated getting them from both AOA or ASA is the safest way.

stonedavid
Sat Feb 17, 2007, 09:40 AM
Hi guys, Beech almond or cattapa is native to australia and there are heaps of them here in cairns.
Why get them from overseas, with the chance of losing your money and leaves thru customs and quarantine and also introducing new diseases into Oz. Always best to get a local source.
Just a thought
Pete

XPLOSV
Sat Feb 17, 2007, 10:17 AM
Thanks all the info and help, (I LOVE THIS FORUM 8hours a day @ work im in here browsing) ^_^

Oscar: no problem at all mate, I will order from one of our sponsors.

Th0mas: Your a champ for helping

Ken

Merrilyn
Sun Feb 18, 2007, 02:27 AM
Hey Pete ...... do you feel like collecting a few hundred dried leaves and posting them on the forum for sale. I'm sure you'd have lots of customers.

I know there are plenty available in Cairns, but it's not easy finding someone selling them.

I find these leaves so important for breeding and raising fry, that I bought the last remaining stocks from ASA in the tea bag variety, once my supplly of dried leaves ran out.

Robdog
Sun Feb 18, 2007, 06:30 AM
In teabag form the method of use is pretty self explanitory but how do you use them in whole leaf form???

chrissyoscar
Sun Feb 18, 2007, 06:36 AM
Old post,

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2120&highlight=cattapa

samir
Sun Feb 18, 2007, 06:39 AM
I find these leaves so important for breeding and raising fry, that I bought the last remaining stocks from ASA in the tea bag variety, once my supplly of dried leaves ran out.
why don't you just plant one in your backyard. http://www.daleysfruit.com.au/Nuts/Indian%20almond.htm

XPLOSV
Sun Feb 18, 2007, 11:44 PM
I second that, ^_^

Hey Pete ...... do you feel like collecting a few hundred dried leaves and posting them on the forum for sale. I'm sure you'd have lots of customers.

I know there are plenty available in Cairns, but it's not easy finding someone selling them.

Merrilyn
Mon Feb 19, 2007, 04:50 AM
[
why don't you just plant one in your backyard. http://www.daleysfruit.com.au/Nuts/Indian%20almond.htm

Wish I could Samir *sigh* but I live in Melbourne. Cold weather and frosts. :?

I think the furthest south they can be grown is Sydney. They prefer tropical weather.

Robdog
Mon Feb 19, 2007, 05:54 AM
Let's get Kingkat or stonedavid to go out collecting and organise a group buy type thing.

Did I just say that out loud???

Merrilyn
Mon Feb 19, 2007, 07:05 AM
Yep you sure did, and I'm right behind you.

How about it guys.

samir
Mon Feb 19, 2007, 07:14 AM
I've seen them grow in weather quite similar to Sydney, only been to Melbourne for a day so I wouldn't know.
How about a big flower pot in the fish room ? :lol: lots of humidity :lol:

The Indian's call it something that roughly translates as wild almond or rural almond. Somewhere between the two. :?

Merrilyn
Mon Feb 19, 2007, 07:20 AM
LOL u funny man Samir.

Did you check out the height they grow.

Something like 8 metres :shock:

Robdog
Mon Feb 19, 2007, 10:20 AM
When I move to Cairns I'll start up a little (big) DF Farm with growout ponds and Almond trees

stonedavid
Wed Feb 21, 2007, 01:03 AM
Hi Lady Red,
I was collecting them last year for a DF member and sent some through to the person but never got payment. So after that i stopped getting them for other people. Maybe we can come to some arrangement, just remember at present its raining up here and everything is soaked so wld have to dry them before sending any or u will have one big fungus package on arrival. Oh guys if your wanting to grow one , they do grow enormous. I usually throw 1 or 2 into a tank and always get results. Threw a couple into my RGD tank (or what ever breed they are, still trying figure that one out) last week end and noticed they have eggs this morning so it does help with the stubborn breeders.
Anyway let me know what your wanting me to do and maybe we can come to an arrangement.
Pete

Merrilyn
Wed Feb 21, 2007, 07:24 AM
Sent you a pm Pete.

Robdog
Wed Feb 21, 2007, 01:25 PM
I was collecting them last year for a DF member and sent some through to the person but never got payment.

I think you should name names and we boot the cheapskate out of here! :shock:

Only half joking

stonedavid
Thu Feb 22, 2007, 12:28 AM
Not worried about it Robdog, its all in the past. This is the first time i mentioned it in the forum. Luckily it was only a small amount but if it had been for a breeding pair of discus then i wld've spat the dummy

samir
Thu Feb 22, 2007, 01:42 AM
I think you should name names and we boot the cheapskate out of here! :shock:

Only half joking

I half agree with that

chrissyoscar
Thu Feb 22, 2007, 10:36 AM
I think you should name names and we boot the cheapskate out of here!

Only half joking

I fully agree with that

wifey of axelfaz
Mon Aug 02, 2010, 06:34 AM
i have a tree in the back yard if anyone wants some pm me

Kerry

TW
Wed Aug 04, 2010, 03:00 AM
http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19319&highlight=

I bought mine via the guy advertising in this link. All was above board & passed through customs, so I assume he does all the right things. At the time of my order, I questioned him on this as I didn't want my purchase confiscated by AQIS and he assured me he did the right thing.

If you use him, you should ask him this yourself, as I received my batch last year and things may have changed.

El Zilcho
Wed Aug 04, 2010, 04:49 AM
I buy mine from a seller on eBay, always arrive very quickly. They come with a note to Customs on the outside of the package... dont know whether that helps but ive never had any issues!

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Amys-50-A-LARGE-INDIAN-ALMOND-CATAPPA-LEAVES-discus-/250535166022?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a550f4046

swampy1972
Wed Aug 04, 2010, 05:02 AM
I buy mine from a seller on eBay, always arrive very quickly. They come with a note to Customs on the outside of the package... dont know whether that helps but ive never had any issues!

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Amys-50-A-LARGE-INDIAN-ALMOND-CATAPPA-LEAVES-discus-/250535166022?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a550f4046

It looks like you're paying as much though..

wifey of axelfaz
Wed Aug 04, 2010, 10:49 AM
mine are free if you pay for the postage

El Zilcho
Wed Aug 04, 2010, 11:32 AM
It looks like you're paying as much though..

I dont actually buy the large A+ grade ones which are a bit exy for leaves... but im quite happy to pay a bit over $10 including post for 50 of the "B+" ones.

dam-mad
Sun Aug 29, 2010, 08:37 AM
I have two lots leaves taken by customs and gave up on getting them through ebay. I have since planted two indian almond trees on my 5 acre property, only babies with maybe 100 hundred leaves between them but in about 50 years there will be a great supply for someone :-=)