PDA

View Full Version : HURT DISCUS- PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Gooose
Thu Feb 15, 2007, 03:33 AM
Hi everyone, i recently purchased five discus three weeks ago for my 55 gal tank, they are absolutely wonderful. When i first got them they all got along pretty well, and then i saw a white mark that looked like a scratch on the head of one of the fish, it went away after a couple of days so i thought nothing of it. but recently the same fish, i think he might be the biggest one, they pretty much are all the same size so its hard to tell(3 in) anyway, the same one now has white marks on the sides of his body and another fish has the same thing on her body as well. its not a big mark, but it has me worried bc i see the fish hitting each other a lot with their heads and raming into each other, now i dont know if thats how they play or they are really fighting, but it doesnt look pretty. Also, one of my fish has not eaten a thing(blue diamond) for about a week in a half and i have no idea how its still alive. so if anybody has any advice about the white marks, the fighting and how to get this one guy to eat, it will be greatlly appreciated, thanks so much and have a great day.

Merrilyn
Thu Feb 15, 2007, 06:22 AM
Unfortunately discus don't play nice. They do push and shove each other, especially when they first go into a tank, and are working out their pecking order, but it seldom results in actual injury.

Check your tank to see if maybe you have sharp pieces of rock or driftwood in the tank. It appears they are scraping themselves on something. Rocks aren't suitable in a discus aquaruim, unless they are well worn, smooth rocks from a river.

Driftwood is natural in a discus tank, but make sure it has no sharp edges.

Discus can go for two or three weeks before they settle in and actually eat. We try to avoid that, but sometimes it does happen.

Does the fish have normal droppings, or are they white, mucus like droppings. The first means he must be eating something, even if you don't actually see him, but the second can spell problems.

Can you provide a little more information about your water parameters, and if possible a picture can be a big help.

viobank
Thu Feb 15, 2007, 11:37 AM
So if your fish has white marks on its body,for cure you have to:
-rise the temperature in the tank gradually up to 34-35 C.
-then add one spoon of halite to 8 gal of water.
-then you will use one pill of sera bactopur direct at 13 gal water.