PDA

View Full Version : new 3 foot tank setup

fish_r
Wed Feb 14, 2007, 11:54 AM
was going to try and breed 1 of my pair of discus in this tank, but didnt think i was ready so this is what it ended up with :)
going bare bottom on this tank...
got a fake root for my bigger tank but didnt like the look in the tank so mounted a fair few anubius and a crypt on it aswell as some java moss
and ended up in this tank along with a nice driftwood cave that hopefully a pair of my fish will find arousing :P
fish are :
6x congo tetra "probably put em in my discus tank"
6x harlequin rasbora "soon to go hopefully" trying to get the 15 or so i have out of my bigger tank has been a nightmare :(
5x bolivian rams "got them today" :)
2 x dwarf gourami "got them today"
2 x SAE "hopefully give away to someone"
some peppermint bn's comming :)

Nathan
Wed Feb 14, 2007, 12:00 PM
looks really good for a barebottom tank, i dnt usually like em, but youve done it well!

scott bowler
Wed Feb 14, 2007, 12:02 PM
looks very nice fish_r love the wood mate

DiscusEden
Wed Feb 14, 2007, 12:04 PM
some peppermint bn's comming :)

Yes they are! You're going to have to feed them well, 'cos there's nothing in there for them to get off the glass!

Looks great sa always fish_r, well done!

martraci
Wed Feb 14, 2007, 12:13 PM
fish_r that driftwood looks awesome!
what other plants attached besides the anubias?

fish_r
Wed Feb 14, 2007, 01:32 PM
thx guys :)
the fake root just didnt look right in my bigger tank but looks ok in this one.
probably put some more small pieces of wood in too for some extra hidding spots.
only other plants are anubias and 1 crypt on the back along with the java fern.
going to mount a large anubias on the real driftwood when i find a good one...

dont worry DE my fish dont have a problem with not being fed enough :wink:
if anything i have to hold myself back so i dont overfeed :lol:
and i feed a very varied diet :wink:

samir
Wed Feb 14, 2007, 01:44 PM
that looks fantastic, wish I knew how to do all that plant stuff.

DiscusEden
Thu Feb 15, 2007, 02:19 AM
Yes, fish_r, having seen them I didn't have any real concerns about you feeding them - and will be after you for advice on how to do it!

What's the botanical name of the java fern? I think I need some of that! Is that the one in the back right of the whole tank shot?

I got some of the large anubias (maybe barterii?) from the place you got your last discus. It was on a log already, and looks really impressive!

fish_r
Thu Feb 15, 2007, 02:57 AM
that looks fantastic, wish I knew how to do all that plant stuff.
thx, it's really not that hard :) just tie on things here and there with fishing line till it attaches :)
and the good thing about the plants in there, they dont need fertilizing bugger all and can have low light :)

yep it's java fern DE botanical name is Microsorum pteropus
it comes in a few different varieties
http://www.plantgeek.net/plantguide_search.php?search=java+fern&type=Search
might have to go into that lfs and have a looksie :)
although i probably shouldnt cause i just brought some more fish too :roll:
the addiction has hit me bad :shock:
got a pair of Kribensis
1 x pair of agazzi
1 x pair of keyholes

samir
Thu Feb 15, 2007, 03:33 AM
are you going to add substrate ? I'm horrible with plants, plus I'm a chronic overfeeder. I always end up ripping them out.

Hmmm fishing line. I would have never ever come up with that. :lol: :lol: All this time I've wondered how you plant people make them stick. :lol: :lol:

fish_r
Thu Feb 15, 2007, 11:41 AM
i might add substrate later on, but not on the cards @ the moment, unless my fish need it too be happy or some thing ? :) "give me an excuse" lol
the real important thing imo is matching ur plants to the lighting u have or vice versa.
cause it aint much fun having algae/melting plants etc etc.
then when all setup figuring how much ferts to add so it keeps the algae away, it's really figuring out a ballance and can be very frustrating...
i'm a bit of a heavy feeder too i think ? but i just gravel vac every week.
usually only need the fishing line for a mth or two and can cut it off :)

fish_r
Fri Feb 16, 2007, 03:34 AM
I got some of the large anubias (maybe barterii?) from the place you got your last discus. It was on a log already, and looks really impressive!

hmmm i just got back from that fish shop with no plants, but ended up buying some more fish "doh" just cant help myself :oops:
got 4 x blue rams and a nice ghost knife fish for my 5 foot discus tank.

DiscusEden
Fri Feb 16, 2007, 12:06 PM
Rams! Well done! I'd love to see some photos! (Small hint) :wink:

I'm about to brave the lfs (closer one) myself tomorrow, to get my new canister filled with CO2. Yippee! :D

I'd appreciate you sharing how the discus take to the ghost knife, if you don't mind?

fish_r
Fri Feb 16, 2007, 12:52 PM
will try to get some pics soon, but they are very small and a bit hard to get a good pic. 1 is very nicely coloured already. supposivley got 2 males and 2 females.
what size bottle did u end up getting ?
the ghost knife just hid under the driftwood as soon as i put it in and i havnt seen it since.
the discus dont seem too concerned and 1 pair is protecting eggs at the moment and doing a great job of it :) i think the harlequins might be a bit scared though, and they have good reason to be :twisted:
from what iv'e read they are ok with discus ? and are a nocturnal fish, so hoping to see it tonight ?
this is a cpl of pics of my Kribs and u can just see a cpl of bolivians too :wink:

DiscusEden
Fri Feb 16, 2007, 01:06 PM
Wow! Very nice kribs. You're very bad you know. I thought they were one fish I could resist, then you go & put that up!

Those Bolivians are like little sisters. Got to be in on everything and every photo by the looks! Surprised they haven't got 2 fins up doing rabbit ears behing the kribs!

What temperature are you running their tank at? Are the blue rams going in this one as well?

fish_r
Fri Feb 16, 2007, 02:28 PM
dont mind the look of the Kribs, they are pretty colourful
running the tank around 26c.
put the blue rams in today too...

fish_r
Wed Feb 28, 2007, 07:44 AM
didnt really like the look of the fake root, so ended up taking all the anubius off it and re mounted it all onto bit's of driftwood i had lying around also brought a driftwood with 2 x bateri on it and mounted another two barteri...

ILLUSN
Wed Feb 28, 2007, 09:52 AM
Can't you leave your poor plants alone, you must remodel your tanks as often as i change my socks :!:
Well done Fish_r looks Great, how well do your crypts do attached to wood? mine HATE having their roots disturbed, they go into "melt" almost every time.

scott bowler
Wed Feb 28, 2007, 09:57 AM
hey looks good rob but i wouldnt expect any thing less mate , you do the plants so well

fish_r
Wed Feb 28, 2007, 10:46 AM
i see other tanks on the net and get new ideas and cant help myself ILLUSN :) the crypt in the wood didnt do that good so i planted it in another tank... some crypts dont mind being moved others hate it and melt....

thx for the kind words Scott :)

Erk
Mon Mar 12, 2007, 02:24 PM
2 x SAE "hopefully give away to someone"

I havent been able to find these anywhere!! I wish I lived closer! :lol:

Tank looks very nice tho! Nice work without any substrate