PDA

View Full Version : Should I move?

Robdog
Tue Feb 13, 2007, 01:18 AM
Been thinking over the last week or so that I'm a bit over Sydney's crap at the moment. Real estate prices, too many dickheads on the streets on Saturday nights, pointless money grabbing toll roads everywhere, ridiculously stupid politicians etc

Seriously considering a move with the g/f and she's up for it too. The city that gets a lot of airtime on the discussion table is Cairns. I know it's hot and it's a long way away but from what I can see, it looks like a pretty cool place.

What are peoples thoughts?? Should we sell up and move to tropical North Queensland??? Pro's and cons??

(and no, I will not be giving up the Tigers to support the Cowboys)

samir
Tue Feb 13, 2007, 01:46 AM
No way Rodbog, you're not going anywhere. Oh and the poll is useless.

Kingkat
Tue Feb 13, 2007, 05:58 AM
Come up mate, It's the best place in Aus for breeding and keeping fish. Let me know ifyou need any contacts or info if you decide to come up here. The have been a few people move here from Brisvegas for fish. There's also a reason why all the tourists come here, because it's the best!
Cheers,
David.

nicholas76
Tue Feb 13, 2007, 06:14 AM
Move to Noosa!

If it werent for my work id be ther in a flash

water is warm and clean, cray fish is just a swim away, no crocs like cairns.

always a holiday feel to the place, awsum markets and a happy place in general.

plus your a small drive away to brisbane,

Kingkat
Tue Feb 13, 2007, 06:23 AM
I must agree that if I had my pick for climate and the women then the Sunshine Coast would be Number 1!
Cheers,
David.

nicholas76
Tue Feb 13, 2007, 06:44 AM
I didnt mentoin the eye candy did I ?

i got into touble so many times ,,,and just for looking :(

scott bowler
Tue Feb 13, 2007, 07:04 AM
rob go for it , it has all the things you love sun, fishing is great up there , the tenps good for discus the life still is awesome , and there are people of here up there so you can meet them and you will have your gf so you wont be loney so mate go for it . i would if i could . lucky man

Robdog
Tue Feb 13, 2007, 07:46 AM
I think deep down I am a cold mountain weather kind of guy and the weather is one of my main issues. I think a holiday up there will answer a few questions for me.
Giving up the fish hobby is not an issue. With a big house up there the same price as an apartment where I am living now, it'll just mean more space for bigger tanks and a backyard for a pond. I'll just have to get Th0mas to send all his apisto babies up for me!

goldenpigeon
Tue Feb 13, 2007, 08:02 AM
i would move to cairns if i were you! cairns is awesome! and there are heaps of awesome bashes up there too! (more the reason to move).

i was born in sydney and im so glad i dont live there. too many nobs down there!

make the move dude!

fish_r
Tue Feb 13, 2007, 08:05 AM
ever thought about Darwin ? "if u like the heat"
i went up for a holiday and ended up staying over 7yrs lol
everyone is soooooo relaxed, an amazing place to live...
i miss it :(

Robdog
Tue Feb 13, 2007, 08:51 AM
I did think about moving to Darwin and then quickly thought about something else like waxing my entire body. I'd prefer the wax really. darwin doesn't grab me :lol:

scott bowler
Tue Feb 13, 2007, 08:55 AM
lol your a funny man rob

Robdog
Tue Feb 13, 2007, 09:43 AM
Does anybody know if they have a first homeowners grant in QLD???

Kingkat
Tue Feb 13, 2007, 10:09 AM
Yep I think it is still $7000?
Cheers,
David.

Robdog
Tue Feb 13, 2007, 10:34 AM
Thanks David aka Cairns Tourist Bureau! :lol:

I just found out that it is an Australia wide thing.

DiscusEden
Tue Feb 13, 2007, 10:41 AM
Yep, they have it in Adelaide too. And less water restrictions. And cheaper houses. If you moved here instead, you could breed fishies here and supply me. (No self-interest, really). Better climate too. Mediteranian. Seasons and all.

Kingkat
Tue Feb 13, 2007, 11:05 AM
Can't have discus, catties, oscars etc etc outdoors in ponds in Adelaide! Plus Cairns has more sexy backpackers than you can imagine. I went for a coffee with a friend of mine at the lagoon pool on te Esplanade this morning and I ordered2 coffees and both went cold before I drank them such was the level of female distraction! Adelaide wouldn't have less water restrictions than us, we just had over 1200mm of rain in 7 days.
Cheers,
David.

Robdog
Tue Feb 13, 2007, 11:09 AM
I can't breed the little bastards here in Sydney let alone Mount Druitt with churches!!! :lol: :lol: Sorry, Sydney joke.

I'm honestly not trying to offend everybody's home towns here. It just sounds like it. Come to think about it nobody has even mentioned that I should move to Melbourne :roll: :wink:

nicholas76
Tue Feb 13, 2007, 11:11 AM
You could mate... move next to Red perhaps? lol

Robdog
Tue Feb 13, 2007, 11:15 AM
Well so far the poll says that I should pack my bags for paradise! But then the next most popular says that the entire poll stands for nothing :?
Dam peoples freedom of choice :evil:

DiscusEden
Tue Feb 13, 2007, 11:44 AM
Maybe the people in Melbourne just weren't up for cracks about Mt Drewitt - which I've gotta say, coming from Adelaide I don't get, but suspect I should be vaguly insulted. :?

Anyway, haven't you heard the best part about Adelaide?

"Adelaide - You Can Always Get A Park"

Good luck with the move - sounds like you've got your heart set on it! :wink:

Robdog
Tue Feb 13, 2007, 12:36 PM
Yeah Kingkat has said nothing but good things. Stuff the poll!

Dearra
Tue Feb 13, 2007, 12:47 PM
I lived in Cairns for 12 months. Couldn't cope with the heat, so I moved down to Tassie. It is cold in winter, but it can also be stunning with the snow. It's not as cold as people think.

We do have really hot days in summer, but at least there is some relief at nightime, and you are able to sleep. I wouldn't live anywhere else now.

Kingkat
Tue Feb 13, 2007, 12:56 PM
That's what air con is for!

Tunnel Rat
Tue Feb 13, 2007, 02:16 PM
The one thing I know I would miss most is the four seasons.
I came close to living in Darwin still got property there but that heat every day after day after day.
Its like a heat wave that we get here in Sydney but the southerly never comes.
I spent some time in cairns but give me Darwin over Cairns any day :lol:
JMO

Rat

Robdog
Tue Feb 13, 2007, 02:26 PM
Are a pool, a/c and the ocean not enough?? Not being funny, serious question.

Kingkat
Tue Feb 13, 2007, 09:55 PM
I don't know how you can compare Darwin to Cairns. Darwin is like the Cape and the Gulf country but worse. Like you say it's a sauna that never ends. We get three hot sticky months here which incidentally make the fish breed like crazy especially when there are some lows around. Then we have a few months either side of winter which are great, warm sunny weather and then winter is three or four months of bliss. Everyone will say where they come from is best, it's just that I say Cairns is better!!!
Cheers,
David.

fish_r
Wed Feb 14, 2007, 01:12 AM
depends what ur after i spose ammusment parks etc, or back to nature "as i prefer"
u do get used to the weather in Darwin if u can stick it out for a while.
most of the places i lived in Darwin i didnt have aircon either or if i did i didnt use it bugger all...
bag Darwin as much as u like, i loved it, just depends what ur after i spose and what kind of life u want to live...

Kingkat
Wed Feb 14, 2007, 02:12 AM
Fish_r, I wasn't bagging Darwin mate I actually like it for a holiday and the markets there are the best in Australia. There's no amusement parks in Cairns and within an hours drive in any direction you have all the back to nature you can handle with reef, rainforest, and outback. It also has all of the advantages of a major city with international airport, university, major hospitals etc with a very laid back lifestyle. I think there are many beautiful places in Australia and two of m favourites are Mackay/Airlie Beach and the Sunshine Coast.
Cheers,
David.

Robdog
Wed Feb 14, 2007, 02:37 AM
:laff4 :argue

Good points from both you guys thanks.
The thing that appeals to me about Cairns to be honest is the reef and my increasing interest in marine tanks.
And the hour each way thing is very attractive.
Imagine not being as rich as Taksan and having a huge breeding pond of discus/apisto's in your backyard!
Possible in Cairns and Darwin for that matter.
It looks and sounds better everyday. :wink:

:idea: All I gotta do is track down Squid for some wilds :idea

Kingkat
Wed Feb 14, 2007, 02:56 AM
Rob, Squid has gone back to Toowomba. Too bloody cold there in winter! If you come up for a look around i will take you to a place in Cairns that are one of the biggest and most respected marine wholesalers in the world. I was there yesterday and it would blow your mind! They have done shipments of over 60 tonnes on chartered freight 747's for publc aquariums in China and Europe. I am just building a new rack for clowns and dottybacks myself. Darwin is a lso a very vibrant and youthful city though.
Cheers,
David.

DiscusMad
Wed Feb 14, 2007, 12:24 PM
I can't breed the little bastards here in Sydney let alone Mount Druitt with churches!!! :lol: :lol: Sorry, Sydney joke.

I'm honestly not trying to offend everybody's home towns here. It just sounds like it. Come to think about it nobody has even mentioned that I should move to Melbourne :roll: :wink:

sorry rob but Mount Druitt is a bit of a toilet to live at there are cheaper places closer in than that I'm paying $240 p/w for a 3 bed house with lock up gararge

DiscusEden
Wed Feb 14, 2007, 12:32 PM
Yeah, that one's rapidly becoming less funny.

Robdog
Wed Feb 14, 2007, 02:42 PM
Mount Druitt is a bit of a toilet

I now retract anything I may have said about Adelaide resembling Mount Druitt (an outer Western Sydney suburb known for it's dole bludgers, high school drop outs, single mothers and the birthplace of the "I climbed Mount Druitt" T-shirt) only with churches. :?
For the record, I have never been to Adelaide and apparently I would not be welcomed by DiscusEden if ever I did. :roll: :wink:

(unless I brought mated First of the Universe breeding pairs and a Eheim tubing connector set- none of which I have access to)[/i]

Robdog
Wed Feb 14, 2007, 02:44 PM
I also notice that nobody has tried to re-sell Sydney to me and make me stay. :? :?

Ahh I remember the stinkhole comment :oops:

DiscusEden
Thu Feb 15, 2007, 02:25 AM
I also notice that nobody has tried to re-sell Sydney to me and make me stay. :? :?

Ahh I remember the stinkhole comment :oops:

lol.

Could also be related to the Mt Drewitt comment. You'd still be welcome in Adelaide, but we might put you in Huntfield Heights.

So, leaving the state then? After this thread, I dare you to try & stay. :lol:

Robdog
Thu Feb 15, 2007, 06:23 AM
If it did happen it would be a September/October move I guess.

Until the I'll just have to bar my doors and windows and stay out of Mt Druitt :wink:

DiscusEden
Thu Feb 15, 2007, 06:30 AM
And hope Mt Drewitt stays out of you.

Picturing pick-axes... screwdrivers....

Should be great in Cairns though. I work with someone whose nephew is breeding clown fish in Tasmania. Sounds like an occupation.

DiscusWidow
Sun Feb 25, 2007, 08:31 AM
Whats wrong with Mt Druitt... the only place you can go where every street looks exactly the same... No keeping up with the Jones there!!!

Rob Dog, Sydney is heaps better than Cairns, no cane toads, less chance of being eaten by crocodiles, a harbour that no one in the world can top, why would you want to be anywhere else...

Robdog
Sun Feb 25, 2007, 04:10 PM
Whats wrong with Mt Druitt... the only place you can go where every street looks exactly the same... No keeping up with the Jones there!!!

Rob Dog, Sydney is heaps better than Cairns, no cane toads, less chance of being eaten by crocodiles, a harbour that no one in the world can top, why would you want to be anywhere else...

The way I'm starting to see it, cane toads = golf practice (and if anyone says "Oh poor little froggy" you need your head read), I reckon I have more chance of being run over by a numbskull Sydney taxi driver than tangling with a croc and fishing Sydney Harbour is still hit and miss. Dam those elusive kingies!

And I don't think Cairns would even get a mention on the travel plans of Chief Warmonger Dick Cheaney

Robdog
Sun Feb 25, 2007, 04:31 PM
...plus I just saw a doco on the Reef this arvo. I'm sold I think.

Kingkat, warm up the hammock and cool down the beers! I'll be there for a looksee in April!! :thumb

Kingkat
Sun Feb 25, 2007, 10:30 PM
Sounds good mate. Got 3 good barra on the weekend about 5 minutes walk from home!
Cheers,
David.

DiscusWidow
Mon Feb 26, 2007, 11:02 AM
Need my head read... it isnt their fault :(

samir
Mon Feb 26, 2007, 11:05 AM
Got 3 good barra on the weekend about 5 minutes walk from home!

:shock: :shock: :shock: ......sold. start packing Rob.

scott bowler
Mon Feb 26, 2007, 11:18 AM
yep that would do it for me too . maybe a few more years so we can leave the kids down here . and move just deb and i hehehe how nice that would be i can only dream haaaaaaaa

Kingkat
Mon Feb 26, 2007, 10:12 PM
Now I understand that this will get all of you wanting to move up here to God's own country but here's the info anyway: Tom Hedley, one of the top 50 richest men in Australia and publican, has offered a bounty of 1 free pot of beer per bag of cane toads! It's estimated there are between 100 and 200 million toads in Australia with most of them in Queensland. A Queensland pot is 285 mls so to wipe out the toads that's 57 million litres of free beer at 2 toads per bag. Better get packing Robdog!

Robdog
Mon Feb 26, 2007, 11:38 PM
I'll pick you up on the way Samir!

Great deal on the toad for a tinnie scheme too.
For all those cane toad huggers out there(Deb :wink: ) the cane toad is the only creature that the RSPCA endorses the slaughter of. Although they use girly phrases like "peacefully euthanise". :?

Real men just call "FORE!" with a 4 iron! :lol:

I think I just felt a hair grow on my chest! :P

DiscusWidow
Tue Feb 27, 2007, 02:55 AM
Yeh Yeh, I dont necessarily like them, but don't condone killing any living creature (lucky for the kids).

Ok Rob you are a real man, bet u got your own seat with the remote control on the arm of the lounge, and that your undies that you left of the floor magically make their way back into your draw clean and folded. :P

Robdog
Tue Feb 27, 2007, 03:27 AM
Clean yes but the time folding is better spent cooking my dinner. :lol: :lol:

DiscusWidow
Tue Feb 27, 2007, 07:44 AM
well she just aint doin her job right then is she???

Robdog
Thu Apr 26, 2007, 09:04 AM
Well my recon trip is complete and I've just forwarded the deposit for my very own 716 square metre block of red rainforest dirt!

Let the fishroom plans begin! :D :D :D :D

DiscusMad
Thu Apr 26, 2007, 12:25 PM
well thats what you get arsking for public opinion :lol:

gingerbeer01
Fri Apr 27, 2007, 12:59 AM
I moved from Sydney to Callala Bay(near Nowra) to Brisvegas. Best move we ever made for my kids in terms of education oppotunities, my wife and myself - lifestyle plus more relaxed atmosphere.

However need a cane toad storey.

Went for a business trip to Melbourne. The day before I had bneen on a building site so my shoes were covered in mud. Had left them outside - belted them against the brick wall a few times and stuck them in a plastic bag. After spending the weekend doing touristy things went to put my shoes on and found a cane toad inside them.

After chasing the thing around the hotel room caught it under a upturned bin. Called reception and they sent up three cleaners armed with gloves up to there armpits and various clubs, big sticks and a bucket.

Don't know where to stay next time in Melbourne.

Steve

Bald_noggin
Fri Apr 27, 2007, 02:32 AM
Called reception and they sent up three cleaners armed with gloves up to there armpits and various clubs, big sticks and a bucket.

I like to use a 1 Wood.

I'd tap the cane toad's on their back and they would then prop up nicely for a swing. FORE!!! :lol:

(I know. I have probably upset some people but I HATE feral animals.)

Robdog
Fri Apr 27, 2007, 02:52 AM
I only saw one cane toad the whole 10 days I was up there. He was so big that he tripped the sensor light in the house we were staying in!
He didn't have much of an arguement to the air rifle pellet to the back of the head. :twisted:

gingerbeer01
Fri Apr 27, 2007, 12:33 PM
Another storey we were out canetoad hunting with a bag to humanely put down. My 4 year old had one of the little kid playset golf clubs. We spotted one and Pete - my eldest was trying to catch when Joel charged in with his club and started smashing eveything in the area. Don;t know if he got the club as could find nothing after much laughing at a 4 year old with a childs club smashing everything he could see.

Steve

Robdog
Wed Sep 26, 2007, 11:57 AM
Well about two and a bit weeks ago my bride-to-be and I gave Sydney the finger and a spray of Hilux deisel smoke and hit the road.

It took us five days, $400 in fuel, a few bags of Starburst, 19 fixed speed cameras (all of them between Sydney and Qld border) and we rolled into Cairns, our new home!

Been here a week and a bit now and still sleeping under the doona with the help of a ceiling fan, although I'm told that will change quite rapidly in the near future.

Still unemployed so I'd better get my discus hatchery, Indian Almond leaf plantation, commercial diving, FW shrimp and Rainbow fish catching business into action :wink:

And David, the pub round the corner from me has topless raffles every Thursday arvo.

pringle
Thu Sep 27, 2007, 11:16 AM
Wow Robdog, I thought initially, how the h@#l would a topic like this make it for 7 months in the forum. However, I can't believe you really did make up your mind and moved to Cairns.

I take my hat off to you. Good on you buddy!

samir
Thu Sep 27, 2007, 01:37 PM
And David, the pub round the corner from me has topless raffles every Thursday arvo.

:shock: no such perks here in Lakemba.

DiscusMad
Thu Sep 27, 2007, 01:53 PM

:shock: no such perks here in Lakemba.

thay have that at liverpool samir

samir
Thu Sep 27, 2007, 02:02 PM
we'd be lucky to get a toothless raffle :roll:

samir
Thu Sep 27, 2007, 02:03 PM
how bout some pics of the area Rob ???

Kingkat
Thu Sep 27, 2007, 11:41 PM
Robdog, Great news to hear you both made it up here safely. How's this weather mate, almost perfect! Although it is starting to warm up quickly. I have done 2 kayak runs this week and been cleaning up on sooty's and jp's with the warmer weather. We even got a nice jack right up in the fresh. I look forward to catching up with you when you get settled in. Don't worry about pub raffles mate, just go for a stroll down along the esplanade where there will be an inevitable multitude of topless euro beauties keen for a chat.
Cheers,
David.

nicholas76
Thu Sep 27, 2007, 11:46 PM
Congrats on teh move,

Ive evaluated myself the same exact thing. Best mate has moved to noosa and they still work hard at there business but geeez quality of lifestyle is so so much better!

samir
Thu Sep 27, 2007, 11:52 PM
Don't worry about pub raffles mate, just go for a stroll down along the esplanade where there will be an inevitable multitude of topless euro beauties keen for a chat.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Kingkat
Fri Sep 28, 2007, 12:07 AM
Maybe you should head up this way too Samir. You could have some good results with your Heckles outdoors for the wet season! And strolls along the esplanade as fringe benefits.

Kingkat
Fri Sep 28, 2007, 12:11 AM
Robdog, If you want any good fish up there go and see Bob and Linda at Cairns Ultimate Aquarium in Hoare Street Manunda. Bob is an L-number expert and worked for Bayfish for a long time. He is always out and about the countryside collecting snails, shrimp, crabs(aquarium type) and fish. He has a club running up there as well. If you are after marines go out to Cairns Marine at Aeroglen?? just north of the airport. The setup they have there will blow your mind and they might even have a job for you, their new boat is unbelievable.

samir
Fri Sep 28, 2007, 11:14 AM
Maybe you should head up this way too Samir. You could have some good results with your Heckles outdoors for the wet season! And strolls along the esplanade as fringe benefits.

I need the exercise, the heckels can wait :shock: :shock:

Robdog
Fri Sep 28, 2007, 11:23 PM
I've been up here 2 weeks and haven't even had time to rig up the rods yet. I think I'll be in the market for some new gear as I'm beginning to think I'll be a little undergunned up here. I've got stuff to handle Sydney Harbour kingies but the stuff up here is like kingies on steroids!

I've been to that one on Hoare St(unfortunately named) and had a good chat with the lady in there. Didn't have any discus but had heaps of nice Africans and Rainbows.
I looked for that Cairns Marine place when I was up last time but no luck. I've got a contact number with them so I'll find them yet!

Can't complain with the weather. Perfect sums it up pretty well. We're off to Port Douglas today with a friend, if I can stop them sunning themselves by the pool and it's only 9:23am!

Robdog
Fri Sep 28, 2007, 11:25 PM
Oh yeah, the Esplanade is absolute skin fest Samir. If you can get past the Brazilians playing soccer and volleyball, the view is superb!

Just look out for the bright red fat English chicks. They spoil it every time

Kingkat
Fri Sep 28, 2007, 11:29 PM
Rob, When you are heading north on your way to Port you will see a little industrial area on the left. You should be able to see some bright orange buildings. These buildings are a business called Glasstech which is the best place to buy cut and or drilled glass. At the end of that same street is Cairns Marine. I think they are only open to the public on Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Make sure you have a look at the 2 main display tanks in the foyer, they aren't big but they are amazing.

Bubbles
Sat Sep 29, 2007, 08:24 AM
Soooooo.....Jealous Robdog.
Used to live on the Goldcoast (Palm Beach) for 6 years, now you make me wonder why I ever came back to Melbourne, not to mention the fishing - great fishing for the Goldcoast & sunshine coasts. Good to see a man take action - not just talk about it.
Cheers,
Bubbles aka Karen

Robdog
Sun Sep 30, 2007, 07:44 AM
I don't go thru town if I'm heading north. I go the other way from Redlynch but I think I know where you mean. I'll have another look this week when I drop our friend back at the airport. Ended up spending the night in PD. Ate and drank too much.

Robdog
Sun Sep 30, 2007, 08:02 AM
Some pics.

Forget The Shire, this is God's Country!

Bubbles
Sun Sep 30, 2007, 10:26 AM
What a view Robdog,
That's a gorgeous Blue Tongue Lizard in the photo, probably lives under a rock or some logs nearby. :cry: Our skies do not look like that here in Melbourne at the moment.
Looks like you have settled in nicely.