PDA

View Full Version : UPS plans anyone?

Bill T
Mon Feb 12, 2007, 05:40 AM
I am thinking about installing a UPS/battery backup system for my two e-heim filters as the power in Melbourne has been somewhat unreliable.
Does anyone have plans for such a device?

I can get a charger, battery and converter as off the shelf items. What I need is the means to automatically switch from mains to battery power and back again in the case of mains power going on/off.

valk
Mon Feb 12, 2007, 05:46 AM
I would recommend you get UPS use for PC. My UPS last about 20mins at half power.

FishLover
Mon Feb 12, 2007, 02:42 PM
Yep, UPS used for PC is the way for me too. What you need to to add up the wattage of your filters and work out the time the UPS will last. I would aim at least running for more than few hours. Mine is about 3 hours.

The way I use 3 hours is most of our power outage does not last longer than 3 hours. The filters can be OK for an hour or two without the water flow through. That gives me about 5 hours protection for power outage. That should be good for 99.9% of the time. Anything more than that, I have more problems to worry about.

Just make sure you don't plug in your heaters and lights into the UPS. That will drain your power very quickly.

Bill T
Mon Feb 12, 2007, 11:02 PM
Thanks guys.
The UPS systems availoable through Dick Smith would give me about one hours running time, which isn't enough to justify the $200+ price tag.
I can put together a system that will run off a car/truck battery - just need to find a switching device that will provide the UPS function. I need something that will switch off the power from the battery backup when mains power is on, and switch it back on when the mains power fails.
If I can find such a device, then I should be able to make my own system and have up to 24 hours filter useage.

valk
Mon Feb 12, 2007, 11:23 PM
I would recommend you go to local computer shop (www.msy.com.au) and get one through them instead of Dick Smith. DS can be very expensive.
Building a UPS is very complicated task, Electronics/electrical engineering knowlodge required. I would be more worried about short circuits with the home builded UPS and causing fire. Thats if you don't cause a fire or electrocute yourself first while building it. We are talking about converting 240v AC to charge 12v DC battery and back to 240V AC from the battery to run your stuff. Also the circuits requires to detect volt drops and switching.
I guarantee it would be cheaper and safer just to buy UPS unit.

FishLover
Tue Feb 13, 2007, 02:10 PM
I paid mine from a computer outlet for about $40.

Not sure what you will paid in Aus. I would guess less than $100 ASD

lesley
Sat Feb 17, 2007, 02:31 AM
Not a UPS, which I also considered but it was appearing pretty costly when I stopped searching for info. I figure that I need to get a solar set up (when I can afford that!) and then I'll think about running the fish on it permanently.

We bought a generator from ALDIS which cost about $300, runs for 10 hours on one tank of petrol. We can run the refrigerator, two cannister filters, lights, heaters at one time. Is coming in very handy for general power tools as well. I am also in Victoria and it has saved problems five times in the last six months.

HTH

DiscusEden
Sat Feb 17, 2007, 07:15 AM
Do you have to be at home to switch a UPS on, like a generator, or do they cut in and off automatically?

Th0mas
Sat Feb 17, 2007, 12:29 PM
UPS will cut in automatically once the main is out, and cut off when the main returns.

DiscusEden
Sat Feb 17, 2007, 12:34 PM
Cool. Well worth considering then.

valk
Sat Feb 17, 2007, 10:50 PM
Make sure you get one that uses a replaceable battery. Some UPS uses induction coil or capacitor as they only will last 5-10mins during backup. My last about 20mins and cost about $120. (Opti - Value series).
My beep continuously when running on battery backup.