PDA

View Full Version : Is my tank OK?

Discus55
Sun Feb 11, 2007, 10:30 PM
I have a 40"x18"x12" (LxHxW) tank.

In it i have 3 small angels.
Could i add 3 2.5" discus in with them?, I have never had discus before and i dident want to spend alot of money on big ones or on alot. I am just going to see if i can do it. I do 30%ish water changes 1-2 times a week and i feed my angels flake, live and frozen and some veg.

thank you,

Sean

gro
Sun Feb 11, 2007, 11:14 PM
sean,

you can athough i would suggest you remove your angels now before you get too attached.

Angels can carry diseases and stuff that can affect your discus

but apart from that i had two small angels when i added my discus

one angel completely went off and and became huge very quickly unfortunately was over competitive for food so the discus got slightly stunted and the angel got so big that it was the biggest fish in the tank which then detracted the focus away from the discus -as they should have been the biggest focal fish.

Bill T
Sun Feb 11, 2007, 11:33 PM
Absolutely be careful about intestinal parasites & angels. The angels can play host to a number of these critters with no major effects, but once introduced to the discuss will cause much grief.
Treat the tank & angels - suggest octozin followed by protozin.
Or start again and sterilise everything.

Discus55
Sun Feb 11, 2007, 11:46 PM
Shouldent i just treat the water, the tank it 1 and a half years mature dont disucs like a mature system. Also i could just buy another tank for my angels, i wouldent get rid of them i love them to much but i can rehouse them in my house.

Would i have to upgrade when they get like 5"-6", i dident think i would.

thanks for your replys

sean

gro
Mon Feb 12, 2007, 01:43 AM
two tanks is a good idea - you are gonna want two tanks down the line anyway!

only worry as they get bigger is the number of them - be wary or show self control and don't put too many in! If you buy more you may have to upgrade

Discus55
Mon Feb 12, 2007, 04:39 AM
I already have 6 tanks in my bedroom 15gallon- however big that one is. And a goldfish tank.
so 1 more wont hurt. Also i think i will just have to stick with 3 discus.

gro
Mon Feb 12, 2007, 04:49 AM
6 tanks - nice job - you've out done me!!

Discus55
Mon Feb 12, 2007, 03:07 PM
When i leave school i will prolly get a job to go inbetween college. Then i will get more and more. Well i will just have 6 soon, my goldfish one is going (too small) and were building them a pond.

I will have to start putting this new angel tank together, 2 of them (the 2.5" ones) are a pair and they are cleaning their slate for their, once a week ish egg lay, they only ever get to wrigglers then they eat them. and my other 1.5 ish inch one wont leave them alone so he gonna get hurt they already beat eachother up.

Sorry totally irrelevent information, I will have a look at some tanks today when i go to my LFS.

thanks

Discus55
Mon Feb 12, 2007, 06:47 PM
Also do you think i could keep my school of cardinals and neons with the 3 discus or will this be an over bio load. There is 7 Neons and 5 cardinals. Thank you

martraci
Tue Feb 13, 2007, 07:05 AM
neons dont tolerate the higher temperatures like cardinals or discus would
it would be best if they were moved

samir
Tue Feb 13, 2007, 07:47 AM
neons dont tolerate the higher temperatures like cardinals or discus would
it would be best if they were moved

one of my discus loves them, sometime during dinner and breakfast, she ate one a day for 10 days. :shock: