PDA

View Full Version : baby discus!

uh oh discus
Sat Feb 10, 2007, 11:04 PM
yesterday i bought two baby discus about the size of a 50 cent US coin. they were the bossy ones in the tank i picked them. but my old discus kept picking on them; especially during feeding time! I dont have an extra tank lying around to seperate them. any suggestions?

the german
Sat Feb 10, 2007, 11:26 PM
thats ok let them in there after a few days it should be better
your old fish have there territories and the new once are like
intruders but mostly that stops after a few days.

uh oh discus
Mon Feb 12, 2007, 02:00 AM
well the agression from my old dicus stops! i was very surprised. now the little fish can come out and swim in the open. but they are pretty picky about the food though. i feed them tubafex worm ( sorry if i misspell it) because thats what the breeder feeds them. they bite small pieces of the worm and speak it back out. and eat it sometimes.

the german
Mon Feb 12, 2007, 02:25 AM
you should feed as normal when they in good nick then they eat
what your old discus eat.
it is like a feeding frenzy you can see while fishing sometimes,
a few fish start eating and the others will folow doesnt matter
they are hungry or not.
i dont know the english word but the german word is futterneid.
the worms are tubifex.

michael

uh oh discus
Mon Feb 12, 2007, 03:09 AM
i feed my old discus shrimp meat and brine shrimp. but lately i've been feeding it shrimp meat until i got the two very young discus. the reason i put a ball of live worm in the tank is that they can constantly eat and not starve. i heard that juvi. fish need food constantly. but from my observations, they only eat it sometimes and spit the chunks out most of the time.

the german
Mon Feb 12, 2007, 03:56 AM
when you have juv. discus you should feed them 5-6 times a day thats a good number but not tu much each time only what they eat in 5 min.
only brine shrimp is not good you schould mix the food like
two times brine shrimp two times bloodworms two times beefhaertmix
(ladyreds recepie is good) you can also buy it in your LFS but i dont
know how the quality is here in australia.
when you feed that often you also must make sure tha your waterquality stays good,when i have juv.discus i do WC every day but only ca.10%

michael

uh oh discus
Mon Feb 12, 2007, 05:21 AM
may be i should try turkey heart! since i still have some in my fridge. i just want them to grow fast lol. taking care of very young fish is a hassel. -_-

the german
Mon Feb 12, 2007, 06:31 AM
it is easy when you do it right :D
turkey heart is also good do you have it as a mix?
let us know what happens to them maybe you have some pics.

michael

uh oh discus
Mon Feb 19, 2007, 04:58 AM
i will post some pics when i get my camera back. the turkey heart mix is premade from a fish food provider. i tried feeding the younglings some brine shrimp today. but no good respond =[ my old discus ate all of it cuz it loves that food so much. any idea try to get the small ones to eat another type of food except tubefix worms? cuz its a hassel to keep the worms alive too.