View Full Version : Breeding marine ornamental shrimp

Ben
Sat Feb 10, 2007, 05:40 AM
I know i might be a touch crazy but i am going to have a go at breeding some ornamental shrimp!

I am setting up four 2x18x18 tanks, bare bottom with a corner box filter, filled with eheim media, a Purigen pouch and filter matting. An additional air stone will be added as well to give more current.

So far I have set up a pair of Yellow coral banded shrimp, with blood shrimp, peppermints, saron and red lines on the list as well.

The rotifers are on the go, which is almost a job in itself!

Ben

Ben
Sat Feb 10, 2007, 05:42 AM
Some pics of other shrimp i have at the moment. :D

Kingkat
Sat Feb 10, 2007, 05:51 AM
Ben , Most of the marine shrimp are very easy to spawn but it's the larval rearing which is quite difficult. Normal rotes are a bit big for some of these larvae however you can get cultures of a super small strain rotifer from CSIRO or AIMS. I can also give you some really good links for easy small scale rotifer production systems. I also have a really good contact for a really good algae product for enriching rotes. HTH
Cheers,
David.

Kingkat
Sat Feb 10, 2007, 06:17 AM
I would also suggest changing from corner filters to sponge filters. Or you could plumb in a sump with a refugium which would help with larval feeds but you would still need sponges over the tank overflows.
Cheers,
David.

Ben
Sat Feb 10, 2007, 09:32 AM
Hi David,

thanks for the ideas! I am using a fine filter matt over the intake of the corner box filter so when the times arises the baby shrimp wont get sucked in.

I wanted to use the CB filters as i am using purigen to help with water quality.

Its going to be a long road but hopefully the terrain will be smooth!

Let me know if you think of any other infomation!

How are the whiptails going i sent you?

Take care
Ben

Nathan
Sat Feb 10, 2007, 10:31 AM
ben when you get em going, put me down for a couple red lines!

Kingkat
Sat Feb 10, 2007, 10:35 AM
Ben, Whips are going good. I am just about to put them in my new system. The females are conditioned up nicely.
Cheers,
David.

Kingkat
Sat Feb 10, 2007, 10:37 AM
Ben, I also have a contact in Cairns that has some of the best looking shrimp I have seen from way out in the Coral Sea.
Cheers,
David.

Robdog
Sun Feb 11, 2007, 05:47 AM
How are most of these shrimp sexable Ben??? Are they similar to crabs with the different shaped vents on the underside??

Ben
Sun Feb 11, 2007, 06:08 AM
They are hermaphrodites, so they need 2 in order to fertilize eggs but cannot self fertilize.

Very interesting imo

scott bowler
Sun Feb 11, 2007, 06:13 AM
ben there are heaps of diffrent types too is there not , so you can keep trying diffrent ones to keep it intresting good on you .