PDA

View Full Version : Yates fertilisers what rates???

axl
Fri Feb 09, 2007, 05:01 AM
Hi,
i have got some yates chealted iron and trace eleements just need to no what rates do people use of these products and do you put it straight into the tank as a powder form???.

ILLUSN
Fri Feb 09, 2007, 05:21 AM
G'day axl, how big is your tank? don't over do it with the iron too much and you WILL have hair algae problems, try 1 teaspoon every 3 nights (will cloud the water for a few hours after addition so put in after lights out) if you get no algae and no improvements in your red plants try 1 teaspoon every second night, if still no change try 1 per night and so on. for the trace element mix try the same, good iron will make your red plants RED! (with high light and co2) are you plants showing any deficiencies?

axl
Fri Feb 09, 2007, 06:03 AM
hey,
my tank is 520ltr and its currently just going thorugh a fishless cycle. I have only got 1.2wpg of light and i will have pres co2. Im only going to have various crypts, anubius, java fern, hygro. So im just trying to get my fertilsier program organised. I have got a bottle of seachem flourish, iron and when that is finished i will swap to yates. What rates of seachem would u suggest and of yates???

Dave001
Sat Feb 10, 2007, 02:45 AM
I've been using the Yates Trace Element / Chelated Iron mix for about 6 months now. I mix 2 teaspoons of Chelated Iron + 2 teaspoons Trace Element, with 250 mls of distilled water. I dose 15mls three times a week (on days 2, 4 and 6).
My tank is 450l and I have 2 wpg over it, and the plants are doing quite well.

axl
Mon Feb 12, 2007, 12:13 AM
thanks for the info dave another guy told me to boil 250ml of water and then add the fetiliser, whats ya thoughts on that idear.

aussieorchid
Fri Feb 16, 2007, 06:00 AM
Axl boiling the water should not be needed chelated iron should dissolve in water easy also the trace elements too. The only thing I do is give the bottle a good shake before adding to the tank as I make up the solution and add it as a liquid to the tank. If you add 38.45g in 500mL water it is the same strength as the commercial iron solution you buy so dose according to that.

Hope that helps