PDA

View Full Version : DSE pH meter

fiftycal
Fri Feb 09, 2007, 04:29 AM
I bought myself a Dick Smith pH meter yesterday. Its the more expensive extendable probe one, as opposed to the $36 pocket one.

There is now water inside the glass electrode. I dont know if its from the stuff im testing or if it was from internal resevoir. Is this normal?

The pH of the buffer goes to 7 straight away, however when I test distilled water, it starts at about 8 then slowly goes down until about 6.8. Is this normal?

Assuming the pH meter is working fine, my "neutral" buffered tank has a pH of 7.6 and my tap water is about 8.6

samir
Fri Feb 09, 2007, 04:39 AM
If there's water in the glass that would be a good excuse to return it straight away. It turns itself on with the slightest knock and you'll probably end up spending more on batteries than the unit itself.

fiftycal
Fri Feb 09, 2007, 04:59 AM
It doesnt turn itself on, unless I press the button.

samir
Fri Feb 09, 2007, 05:07 AM
try giving it a slight knock

fiftycal
Fri Feb 09, 2007, 05:16 AM
Nothing happened lol

samir
Fri Feb 09, 2007, 06:21 AM
good , then its probably just me

fiftycal
Fri Feb 09, 2007, 06:28 AM
Is there meant to be any water in the glass electrode?

The ones I used in uni had no water inside...and this didnt have any in the beginning. I didnt immerse the whole thing in water either, just where it says you should immerse it to

samir
Fri Feb 09, 2007, 06:39 AM
mine doesn't have water.

fiftycal
Fri Feb 09, 2007, 01:43 PM
Hmm, Ill go into DSE tomorrow and exchange it.

Robdog
Fri Feb 09, 2007, 10:34 PM
It turns itself on with the slightest knock and you'll probably end up spending more on batteries than the unit itself.

Ditto. If I snap the cap back on too hard it turns itself on. PITA!

I've never had water in the electrode though. I cleaned a lot of gunk from around it the other day after not using it for a while. Still pretty accurate.

mistakes r crucial
Sat Feb 10, 2007, 08:06 AM
I'm sure not unlike you guys, I've been through God knows how many Ph testers over the last few years, either through them being crap, dropping them or whatever. The last time I bought a cheapy and it went nuts I decided to go the whole hog (whole hog for me anyway) and spend a fair bit more on a Eutech. I bought it wholesale through a plumber mate of mine for $195 and it's the best buy I've made in a long time. It's as accurate as, calibrates at the push of a button and if I break the glass I can replace it without replacing the complete unit. It's also completley waterproof too so if I drop the whole thing in a tank it still works. Quite an outlay to begin with but it's saved me heaps over the longer term.
MAC

Bad Inferno
Sat Feb 10, 2007, 10:54 PM
I have not seen the DSE electrode however my glass electrodes does have liquid inside..its supposed to.

rob

fiftycal
Sun Feb 11, 2007, 12:43 AM
The electrode only had a small amount of liquid inside