PDA

View Full Version : Eggs out of water. How long ???

samir
Wed Feb 07, 2007, 11:23 PM
this bunch are on their way to wrigglerhood as I type :x they got a 20 minute 10 mg/l potassium permanganate bath yesterday after which they were out of the water for about 30 minutes. :shock: From what I've read a couple of minutes out of water is fine ? :?
I thought my albino was cranky, these guys have just set a new world record in aggressiveness. :x and they wont eat so that defeats the purpose of conditioning them for breeding. I dislike removing eggs, don't want them to think I'm the bad guy :roll:

Merrilyn
Thu Feb 08, 2007, 03:52 AM
Samir, are you saying that the eggs were out of water for 30 minutes ??????

That's an awfully long time. I don't hold out much hope of them hatching.

samir
Thu Feb 08, 2007, 04:42 AM
Yes, I left them out for that long to make sure they didn't hatch, yet they seem much much darker today :? I think I can see a few wrigglers but they're at the other end of the tank so can't be sure. The male's behaving like a rabid dog. :x

samir
Thu Feb 08, 2007, 10:06 AM
they all hatched :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
the've been moved to the back of the pipe.

scott bowler
Thu Feb 08, 2007, 10:13 AM
wow what have you done samir haha you have made some super babys they can hold the breath for 30 mins and still hatch they will be stronge lol

samir
Thu Feb 08, 2007, 10:32 AM
they weren't breathing yesterday, they were eggs :lol: :lol: could have been 25 minutes but definitely not less than that. :shock:

dachoo
Thu Feb 08, 2007, 11:15 AM
very interesting Samir. What the room temp & hurminity. Any wind like from the fan or window toward the cone.

samir
Thu Feb 08, 2007, 04:46 PM
no wind but its pretty humid and air temp in the tank is usually around 80f.

Merrilyn
Fri Feb 09, 2007, 02:50 AM
Just goes to show that discus eggs are pretty tough, so long as they don't get dried out.

That's a very intresting experiment Samir. Don't think I'd recommend it though :lol:

samir
Fri Feb 09, 2007, 05:38 AM
got rid of the wrigglers today, next time I'll make sure they dry out :?

GreenDiscus
Fri Feb 09, 2007, 10:33 AM
Hi Samir
Can I ask you about Potassium Permanganate that you bathed the eggs in. I used it last year to clear some fungal disease on mature fish and wow did it shift it !!. However, I later noticed comments about stripping the protective coat on discus. Three weeks later the whole tank of fish went severly down in less than 24 hrs, and I blamed it on a lack of protective coating from the Pot Perm ?????

samir
Sat Feb 10, 2007, 12:02 PM
i bathed all the fish, the eggs went along for the ride. i don't think the slime coat should take that long to regenerate. I use very accurate dosing with a .001 gm scale, maybe you put too much in. I get dosing information from aquaculture journals and university research sites, works for me. I'm no expert so I wouldn't really know what went wrong with your fish but I wouldn't recommend KMnO4 unless you run out of all options.

The wrigglers are now in the wriggler section of fishy heaven via the canister graveyard. Wriggler heaven is similar to heaven, except that everything has a slime coat :roll:

GreenDiscus
Sat Feb 10, 2007, 11:38 PM
Thanks Samir
Hopefully, I will not need to, but what would be your recommended dose of KMnO4 in gramms per 100litres as I do have a free supply !? At the time of the second attack I blamed the chemical for de-sliming, but I later found the local (500m away) fish store had "bad water" from the water mains and also lost heaps of fish....This was all well over 12 months ago and I have lost nothing since...
Thanks Mike

Andrew Soh
Mon Feb 12, 2007, 01:31 AM
Samir,

Well done :wink: .....never tried 30 minutes out of water. Maybe you are right because as the eggs dries up... air is in contact with the opening and thus the membrane...supplying air to the egg...

The only problem is that the membrane may harden and micro-debris may dry up ..and thus cover up the membrane...choking the fetus to death. Good experiment (What was your intention for taking out the eggs for 30 minutes in the first place?)....I may try it to some of the lesser quality brooders to see how long the eggs can stay out of water.

Ciao!
Andrew

samir
Thu Feb 15, 2007, 01:08 PM
Hi Andrew, Haven't seen you around for quite a bit. i was trying to kill the eggs :lol: because the pair were getting too aggressive in the community tank,
By the way I've managed to finally up the amount of eggs and fertility rates. I just had a spawn of 350 all attach and a couple of months ago I hit 400 plus with my blue diamond pair and it mostly thanks to stuff I've picked up from your experiences . I don't use your methods 100% but basically it revolves around your idea's :lol: :lol: When I mess up I go back to your methods :lol: :lol:

Andrew Soh
Thu Feb 15, 2007, 01:24 PM
Well done Samir,

That is the way to go....less pair (of quality) with high productivity. I am sure if you feed them pro-more @ 40gm per kg of feed and feeding 3 times a day.....you might even achieve 550 to 600 fertilised eggs...no joke!

Anyway, as chinese saying goes..."Have student, no master". You are able to modify and improve on my method in my book.....Bravo!!!!

Take care and all the best!

Andrew :wink:

samir
Thu Feb 15, 2007, 01:31 PM
You are able to modify and improve on my method in my book

modify yes, improve not necessarily :lol:

Andrew Soh
Thu Feb 15, 2007, 01:52 PM
ha!ha!ha!