PDA

View Full Version : In case of power outage???

Slaglegirl
Tue Feb 06, 2007, 10:44 PM
I have recently been informed that my power will be disconnected for about 8 hours due to meters being replaced. With other fish, I would not worry, but now that I keep Discus I am unsure of what to do. I have battery powered air pumps to keep the tank oxygenated, however what do I do to keep the temperature up? Are there battery powered heaters? After checking with walmart, home depot, petsmart, and academy, as well as searching online, I have made no progress. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

mistakes r crucial
Wed Feb 07, 2007, 04:39 AM
What part of the States do you live in? Unless the ambient temperature is extremely cold don't worry about the temp over a few hours. If you are really concerned about the temp then you could wrap blankets around your tank or styrene if you have some. Discus are far hardier than some people give them credit for and they will tolerate quite a lot of changes.
MAC

samir
Wed Feb 07, 2007, 04:57 AM
i once mistakenly attached the heater on one tank with 7 day fry to the light timers. the temperature went down every night as the heater cut off for . I only realised it a couple of weeks later when i moved the fry. So as MAC said the're tough fish and unless the temperatures are extreme the'll be fine.

the german
Wed Feb 07, 2007, 05:13 AM
i wouldnt be concerned about the temp. more about the filters!
8 hours without movement wil be bad

mistakes r crucial
Wed Feb 07, 2007, 05:23 AM
She has battery air pumps German, they'll be fine.
MAC

iro11a
Wed Feb 07, 2007, 06:46 AM
i wouldnt be concerned about the temp. more about the filters!
8 hours without movement wil be bad
Without a filter would be alright just do a 50% water change after the power is back on or if your home give the tank a water change and clean and tank before the power comes on,and so long as your tank was at around 30 deg before the power cuts off i think the tank would hold its temp preaty well might drop a few deg but will soon kick back up once power is running.

the german
Wed Feb 07, 2007, 08:15 AM
ah ok mac then the filter will be right.

benjohnson
Wed Feb 07, 2007, 09:45 AM
I have unplugged my heater on more than once occasion and left it over night, they are fine... you tend to notive they go slightly more docile if does get a bit chilly, but they are absolutley fine and are back to normal after a hour or so with the heater back on , As long a syou have an airstone in there, all will be well :-)

mistakes r crucial
Wed Feb 07, 2007, 06:35 PM
LoL, sorry German, you were talking about the Bio, I was thinking fish. You're right, that might be a bit how ya going after 8 hours with no flow. I suppose it depends on what type of filtration she's running. If it's a cannister or sponges and they are still submerged she might get away with it. I've never had mine off that long but my sumps I've had off for 3-4 hours without too much of an issue. The media was still completely submersed and I kept a few air stones going, maybe that made the difference.
MAC

the german
Thu Feb 08, 2007, 08:37 AM
thats what i think mac,the aerobic bacterias will die when
the flow stops and when they die the filter will
how we call it in germany "tipp over"but an airstone will
solve this problem

Slaglegirl
Fri Feb 09, 2007, 12:20 AM
Thank you all for your advice! Your experience has set me a little bit more at ease. :)

mistakes r crucial
Fri Feb 09, 2007, 12:27 AM
Hi Slaglegirl,

Just keep an eye on your ammonia and nitrite readings over the next few days.
MAC