PDA

View Full Version : white spot and a healthy canister filter.

tunafish
Mon Feb 05, 2007, 01:43 AM
i recently bought a few clown loaches (which on initial inspection did not exhibit any forms of disease) and did not have a quarantine tank setup at the time.

about 3 days after throwing them into my community tank, a few of my other fish got infected with white spot as well as the loaches.

i've since setup a 45cm tank to treat the loaches. 2 have died, leaving 2 at present.

What i want to know is can i treat the whole community tank and will it destroy the bacteria accumulated in the canister filter.

i've also some anubias on driftwood in the tank, how will this fare with the treatments?

i'm currently using aquamaster: multicure.

any info would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers.

tunafish
Mon Feb 05, 2007, 08:36 AM
anyone?

scott bowler
Mon Feb 05, 2007, 08:43 AM
hi tunafish i dont know about multicure but i would use protozin for white spot and that will not harm any thing in you tank . not the bio filter or plants and it will fix the prob . it may have come in on a fish or check your water do all your tests and see if every thing is ok there

Squid
Tue Feb 06, 2007, 07:32 AM
Treatment with heat works well - try 32deg for a few days, but make sure that your fish are able to handle it. Clowns will be OK but i dont know what else is in your tank. Salt is also good to use. I have no gravel in any tank, and use UV filtration and have never had whitespot.

the german
Tue Feb 06, 2007, 08:22 AM
temp. up and salt should get rid of them.
this multicure stuff is ...............!!!!
it is methyleneblue malachitgreen and agriflavin in one :shock: :shock:

tunafish
Tue Feb 06, 2007, 12:55 PM
i've got peppermints, corys and loaches in the tank at the moment
will they all be fine with the increase in heat?
Will the anubias also hold up fine?

i've already addeda bit of rocksalt.
3 teaspoons to the ~35gallon tank.

iro11a
Wed Feb 07, 2007, 06:52 AM
I don't think the corys will like the high temps because i lost one of mine when i put up my temp they preaty much sat at the bottom and did't move until the temp went down so i wouldt jump the temp.

Squid
Wed Feb 07, 2007, 10:31 AM
Yeah - corys dont like heat much. All summer long in Townsville, they just sat on the bottom. They didn't eat much, but they didn't die either. I guess you can only have a go and keep a good eye on them.