PDA

View Full Version : Freshwater Sole

Cuong
Sun Feb 04, 2007, 12:12 PM
Just got some of these guys today..

Any ideas on the exact species? I was told it was South American but I'm not too sure when it comes to these..

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/6633/a01kd1.jpg

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/7029/a02iz2.jpg

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/372/a03vv3.jpg

tao
Mon Feb 05, 2007, 06:01 AM
As I know, it can reach 20cm and like to ambush for alive food.

Merrilyn
Mon Feb 05, 2007, 06:39 AM
Fascinating little fish. Don't know much about them, but I do know that the fry start off as normal looking fish, with an eye and a gill on each side.

As they grow, the eye moves around the fish to arrive on the top, as you can see in the adult fish.

A wonderful adaption of nature.

Robdog
Mon Feb 05, 2007, 08:00 AM
Are they brackish or FW? I saw some of these the other day and I admit I was tempted to try something a bit different.

samir
Mon Feb 05, 2007, 08:15 AM
where did you see these Rob ??? I'm tempted

scott bowler
Mon Feb 05, 2007, 08:57 AM
i like them to but havent seen them for a while any were

wickedglass
Mon Feb 05, 2007, 12:32 PM
Interesting fish, this, it's been a while since I've had them, but I've heard they're around again. It's a species of Achirus, probably Achirus errans (up to about 10cm) and a pure freshwater species, ranging from the Amazon into Paraguayan river systems. They like sandy substrates (you can often see them masticating through the sand), higher temps between 26 °C and 30 °C, 5 - 7 pH, live food, TV dinners, and god forgive them ... Desperate Housewives!
Being a flat bottom dweller, the more floorspace you have for them, the better. Ancistrus and other territorial bottom fish should be kept out of the same tank ... otocinclus, dwarf cories, small characins and the like won't pick on your sole.
They're night active and should be fed accordingly (after lights off) or they may starve (somewhat like elephant noses often do).
If you have more than one, and you're lucky enough to breed them, write a paper on it, because no one has any idea how they breed and no one has bred them (that is to say, no one has published a breeding record).

Disclaimer: I won't be held responsible for any lasting ailments or death if you do choose to feed them on TV dinners and make them watch Desperate Housewives!

Cuong
Mon Feb 05, 2007, 12:57 PM
That sounds about right wicked and thanks for the info. Very similiar to the description the LFS gave me when I asked about them (pure FW and only 10cm adults). I got two and they are with a colony of L168's and redwhips at the moment but I haven't noticed any agression as of yet.

I guess I should go feed them now :D

nicholas76
Mon Feb 05, 2007, 10:56 PM
looks like a typical flounder. They are similar in every way except our version are salt water.

amazing fish

taksan
Wed Feb 07, 2007, 03:00 PM
I like em ..... Think I want one even

bushie
Wed Feb 07, 2007, 11:04 PM
hey schmuck,

I got some of these aswell, about four weeks ago.

mine are doing fine, but I found they would not eat at all when the lights were on.
I had to wait till the lights were off for about half an hour and then drop in some brine shrimp or similar.
they would actively hunt around the bottom of the tank.
good luck with em.
I think they are cool little guys.

Cuong
Wed Feb 07, 2007, 11:55 PM
Yeah both of mine usually stick to the side glass when the lights are on. It's pretty cool to watch them flop around after the lights go out and try and eat a bloodworm considering they are only 3-4cm big.

sugarpuss
Fri Feb 09, 2007, 04:17 AM
I like em ..... Think I want one even

Errr ....No

Robdog
Fri Feb 09, 2007, 11:05 PM
I checked with someone from a Strictly Aquariums store yesterday and he said if his store had them, then all the other stores would have got some.
That's if anyone is interested in getting some.

Tunnel Rat
Sun Feb 11, 2007, 01:38 PM
Hey Schmuck I posted the TFH mag on Friday forgot too bring it to work with me twice :oops:
enjoy
Rat

Cuong
Sun Feb 11, 2007, 02:05 PM
Haha 8-) That's cool man thanks again :D