PDA

View Full Version : Milwaukee MA957 Owners

glennske
Sat Feb 03, 2007, 11:48 PM
Hi all,

I purchased a Milwaukee MA957 regulator from the local distrubutor in Australia late last December. This model is the 240v European model, as it is terminated with a 2 pin European power plug. I had to purchase a plug convertor for it to adapt to our power standards. I have followed the provided instructions step by step.

Unfortunately, out of the box, the solenoid appeared to be faulty. It would switch off without warning. Sometimes it would run for ten minutes and switch off, other times it would run for six hours then switch off. It would also make random clicking noises from the solenoid. To get it running again, I simply had to remove it from the power point, and plug it back in again. I tried another brand of convertor, but this didn't make a difference. I recently sent the unit back to the distributor here in Australia as faulty, and they quickly sent me a brand new replacement.

I've taken the brand new replacement out of the box, and this one has exactly the same issue. The solenoid makes a clicking sound for a while and then switches off at random times, even though it's plugged in to the power. It was also leaking from the base of the bubble counter. I had to unscrew the bubble counter, reseated the black o-ring and this has fixed the leaking problem.

What I don't understand, is how I can receive two of these units, and have the same indentical problem? I have tried using this unit on different power points throughout my house - this hasn't made a difference.

I have contacted Milwaukee in the US to see whether this is a known issue with this product. They have informed me it sounds like an issue with the travel adaptor I am using.

I'm wanting to hear back from any MA957 users with any similar experiences.

Any information would be helpful.

Thanks

fish_r
Sun Feb 04, 2007, 07:20 AM
i have the same reg
returned one cause of a sticking piston in the solenoid,
it wouldnt turn off sometimes.
but was replaced promptly and havnt had ny problems since...
one thing i did wrong when first setting it up, is i went by the inside numbers for pressure instead of the outside numbers and i think that might have been the problem with it not shutting off...
did u follow these instructions when u installed it ?
http://www.milwaukeemeters.com.au/milwaukeeregulator.htm
if not u may have damaged it ?
i am really happy with the service i recieved from the Australian distributor "Bill i think his name was"
he also fitted an Australian lead and 3 pin insulated plug @ no extra charge b4 he shipped it to me "both times" :)

glennske
Mon Feb 05, 2007, 06:53 AM
Hi Fish_r

Thanks for your reply.

I've been talking with the owner of Milwaukee Meters today. Brian informed me that the MA957 regulator is not designed to run 24hours a day, and mine is probably over heating after a few hours of use. I was under the impression this unit was able to run 24/7 with no problems Can anyone, especially MA957 owners confirm this?

Brian also informed me that most of his customers buy it together with the SMS122 Digital PH control unit. This unit switches the MA957 on/off according to the PH parameters set by the SMS122

He also mentioned that the MA957 is not a CO2 regulator, but a PH/ORP control device.

Can anyone clarify?

Thanks

glennske
Fri Feb 23, 2007, 01:42 PM
Update: I've had my setup at a mates place this week, and it has been working fine. This literally blew me away.

It's currently back at my place now, and plugged in to a UPS, and still switching off :( Any ideas?

I'm thinking I may have to replace this regulator with another brand, but don't want to run in to the same situation.

Any help is much appreciated.

fish_r
Sat Feb 24, 2007, 02:29 AM
if it's working ok @ ur m8's place it must have something to do with ur power ? if ur going to run it 24/7 without turning it off u dont need ur solenoid, so just take the solenoid off ? but u will need someway of getting rid of the co2 when the lights are off IE and airstone...
HTH

glennske
Tue Feb 27, 2007, 03:25 AM
Thanks everyone for their ideas. I've managed to fix the problem over the weekend by purchasing an AquaMedic regulator and solenoid. Works perfectly, no problems, straight forward, looks like a quality product.

The Milwaukee MA957 works perfectly, but just not at my place. Can't explain it.

I am happy with the Aqua Medic product. I will keep an eye on it over the next couple weeks. It's good when something just...works!

ellwa
Tue Feb 27, 2007, 10:36 PM
Thanks everyone for their ideas. I've managed to fix the problem over the weekend by purchasing an AquaMedic regulator and solenoid. Works perfectly, no problems, straight forward, looks like a quality product.

The Milwaukee MA957 works perfectly, but just not at my place. Can't explain it.

I am happy with the Aqua Medic product. I will keep an eye on it over the next couple weeks. It's good when something just...works!

a have the aquamedic reg and solenoid, and will be putting another one on the breeding tank over winter.

its so easy to setup.

I need to get a new O-Ring though, cause I damaged mine transporting it when I got my bottle filled last time.