PDA

View Full Version : Fuzzy Eggs not growing.

Primordius
Sat Feb 03, 2007, 11:36 PM
Hey guys,

My pair has layed 2 separate batches since purchase and they look as though they're going through all the motions for a successful breeding cycle. However, the first time, the eggs got eaten on the second day and the second time, the third day after becoming quite fuzzy.

I was under the impression parents mouthed them to prevent fungus from forming on these eggs --- they appeared to do this, but, is the fuzz fungus?

I'm hoping to be around the next time they lay (today or tomorrow). It's a little disconcerting as I am starting to wonder if they really are a true pair. I guess i'll never actually know until I watch them --- one is slightly smaller than the other and I have my suspicions that fish may still be a juvenile male. This would explain apparent infertility, wouldn't it?

Anyone have comments, ideas and suggestions?

jim from sydney
Sun Feb 04, 2007, 04:21 AM
are the eggs going white????

did you see them laying the eggs????

how old are the fish???

Merrilyn
Mon Feb 05, 2007, 05:20 AM
It sounds as if the eggs aren't being fertilized.

Young males seem to take longer than the females to mature, and although they seem to be doing all the right things, they are just not mature enough to fertilize the eggs.

If the eggs remained orange (without going white) and became covered in fungus, then it's possible you have a high bacteria count in your water. Are the pair in a breeding tank, or in the community tank.

For successful spawning, you really need the water to be soft, slightly acidic and as sterile as possible. The only way to really control the conditions is in a separate breeding tank.

The other possibility is that two females will appear to pair off and lay eggs, but of course, they will never be fertile.

Try to check the breeding tubes on your fish when they are spawning. The female will have a round blunt tube, and the male will have a smaller pointed tube. There are some very good photos on the forum (posted by Jim from Sydney) showing a close up of the breeding tubes.

Anf
Thu Feb 08, 2007, 03:32 PM
Can try add some Methylene Blue to prevent fuzzy. :)

Primordius
Tue Feb 13, 2007, 10:37 PM
They're in a breeding tank. 4th batch was layed about 3 days ago and this time some of them went really dark. This morning I walked in and found the dark eggs were moving, then before I left for work, some had grown tails.

It appears the male is definitely the smaller and perhaps he just wasn't fertile right away. In any case, i'm ecstatic we have a male and female pair that are capable of breeding successfully.

Now to get moving on the rearing tank again :)

jim from sydney
Tue Feb 13, 2007, 11:47 PM
Congrats.......nice work.......any pictures yet??????

richardbrook01
Fri Feb 16, 2007, 01:59 PM
I have a pair that have been breeding for about 6 months in a community tank. They started much like yours eggs gone in 1 day but as time when on they got better till 6 months later they got them to free swimming for 2 days (I have now seperated them in to a breeding tank and have some eggs)
But my point is this, it a learning curve for the fish, they learn as they go
Just leave them to it and be patient your self, I am sure they will sort things out in time

Jeroen
Thu Feb 22, 2007, 07:08 PM
Hello Primordius,

This problem I have had for a really long time, I searched as many forums I could find, wrote emails to experts etc etc....
I started with 2 pairs which has growen to 10 pairs (8 proven) always the same issue....white eggs :(

The most sollutions/problems I heard was:
Microsiemens to high (above 200 Us)
Ph to high (7.0)
Kh to high (3.0)

I bought myself a RO
No changes, I builded a kation/ionen exchanger...to changes

Now 1.5 year later I have the first results: 5 in a row
the problem was even much easier....FOOD
I have given my discus to much food, which influence the water negative
(to much fungus bacterie, No2, No3 etc
Now I change the normal frequency (25% per day) feed them much less (adult discus does not need a lot of food) and it goes beyond expetations

A friend (expert breeder) prooved me Us have not always to do with, He raised the Us with kitchen salt (this does not raise the KH/GH) his water was at 600 Us and still no problem of breeding.

Also there is told to me that above 30 degrees celcius male discus are nor fertile, set your temp. to 28.5 as have been told me this is the best temp. for breeding.

Good luck