PDA

View Full Version : inducing discus spawnage

chikku
Fri Feb 02, 2007, 01:52 PM
hey there, tryin to get 2 pidgeon bloods to spawn but they wont >.<

ive tried many things... cool water changes, bloodworms, brine shrimp, high protein pellets, high to low ph drop but nothing works!

they've spawned before in my community tank but that was a good 6 months or so ago.

the water is crystal clear (and clean) and im doin water changes (around 40%) every few days. it seems that one of them is pretty keen (shaking and shivering) but the other one does not respond

in fact sometimes when i feed them the one that doesnt respond will kind bite or peck the other one while they are eating! its not seroius though looks like its just fun and games. someone help!

chris

jim from sydney
Sat Feb 03, 2007, 09:53 AM
first Q. where do you live?? it has a big bearing on the water qual.

cheers

chikku
Sat Feb 03, 2007, 03:31 PM
i live in brisbane

ive bred discus here before without changing much to the water, that was ac ouple of months ago

jim from sydney
Sun Feb 04, 2007, 04:18 AM
dont worry too much, they are afterall alive and hence go thru' stages. just do what you normally do and wait.......i have tried for 3 years now with little success. there is nothing i haven't tried and yet little luck. i am now on RO water to see what happens. there are so many variables in breeding that makes it just so interesting......you have checked all parameters just keep on doing it, and as they have bred before they will again, they may just be having a rest.

good luck

cheers.

mistakes r crucial
Sat Feb 10, 2007, 07:54 PM
As long as your bio is strong and healthy leave the water changes out for a week and then give them a large, cooler water change. Just keep an eye on ammonia and nitrite during the week.
MAC

chris
Sun Feb 11, 2007, 11:26 AM
Check your water parameters, Last year I had no probs with spawning breeding all, what I did was water changes.
I too had a pair that wouldnt spawn or even look like spawning checked PH, it was so acidic.
We have had no rain In Adelaide at all last year and not much this year.
So our tap water was a fair bit softer.
Check your water you may find answers in it.......