PDA

View Full Version : How many discus?

Michael L.
Fri Feb 02, 2007, 12:06 AM
I have a 55 gallon aquarium and I'm wondering how many discus I should put in it.

Tank Stats:

Standard 55 Gallon- 4ft. long
Filtration: Aquaclear 70 and Aquaclear 30
Temperature: 82F
pH: 6.2
Hardness: Low
Ammonia/Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: Never over 10

The tank is very well planted and I do a 50% water change every week, but when I get discus, I will be doing two 50% changes a week.

Tank Stock:

1 Bolivian Ram
14 Neon Tetras
10 Harlequin Rasboras
4 Common Brochis

I'd like to just have one discus in here (don't want to risk overstocking the tank) but I understand that they may require to be in groups.

How many should I add.

ellwa
Fri Feb 02, 2007, 12:49 AM
You could get away with 3-4discus in a tank of that size.

and with heavily planted tanks you can get away with 1 30-40% WC a week, IMO.

as long as you keep the water params. constant, you shouldn't have any dramas.

Michael L.
Fri Feb 02, 2007, 03:31 AM
I could actually have 4 even with all of those fish already in there? That sounds like alot...

sammigold
Fri Feb 02, 2007, 07:12 AM
The normal rule is about 1 adult discus per 40 litres which is about 10 gallons... so you could probably have about 5 or 6 adult discus.

You could always have more but that will mean more w/changes more often as then you would probably be overstocked.

cheers
sammi

the german
Fri Feb 02, 2007, 08:32 AM
5-6 sounds good to me too.
so they dont get spooky.
discus are school fish that means you need a few and this number is not to bad.

Michael L.
Fri Feb 02, 2007, 04:53 PM
Interesting... Thanks a bunch!

mcloughlin2
Fri Feb 02, 2007, 10:16 PM
IMO, don't add 5-6.

If this is your first time keeping discus that would be going over your head. Plus the general rule for discus is 1 per 40L, but you already have other fish in the tank.

I wouldnt go for anymore then 4 to start off with. Maybe later down the track more can be added as you gain experiance but stick to 4 for now.

HTH

Sam

Michael L.
Sat Feb 03, 2007, 12:32 AM
That's what I thought. I've been keeping some advanced species for quite a while and I've been keeping fish for about 9 years, so I'm not new to this, but I just wasn't sure with discus.

I think that I'm going to go with 3 to start, just to ensure that I don't have any nitrogen spikes or anything.

Now what sexes should I get? I'm assuming the typical male-female-female...

jim from sydney
Sat Feb 03, 2007, 09:49 AM
That's what I thought. I've been keeping some advanced species for quite a while and I've been keeping fish for about 9 years, so I'm not new to this, but I just wasn't sure with discus.

I think that I'm going to go with 3 to start, just to ensure that I don't have any nitrogen spikes or anything.

Now what sexes should I get? I'm assuming the typical male-female-female...

Hi Michael

if you start with 3 adults and they have not bred before, it is difficult to decifer what you are buying. you will only be able to tell what the sexes are once they cuddle up. chances are you may get 2 of one and 1 of the other sex, but dont be sure about that you could just as well get 3 of the same. i think you need to decide if you want 3 adults or say 6 juvies from the same brood, with the latter you will almost always get 1 pair. if you have breeding in mind the latter is the way to go and also a lot cheaper.

cheers

Michael L.
Sat Feb 03, 2007, 04:39 PM
I don't really want to breed them at this point. It's a bit too risky in a community tank.

I'll probably just get a few juveniles and put them into the tank, selling off any pairs.

jim from sydney
Sun Feb 04, 2007, 04:12 AM
Michael

enjoy them Buddy send some pics when bought.

Jim

Del
Sun Feb 04, 2007, 05:19 AM
IMHO Discus certainly feel safer in numbers.

I had 2 only and they hid all the time. I added another 2 and they were a bit happier but tended to fight a lot. I have just added another 2 and they all group together and don't fight or hide at all... so that's 6... mmm...

Good Luck! :D