PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use the Estimative Index?

shawn barker
Wed Jan 31, 2007, 05:10 PM
Hi all,

just a quick question for you...I've been reading up about the Estimative Index (as described by Tom Barr),for dosing fertiliser to your planted aquarium, and was wondering if anyone here has had any experiences of it- good or bad before I commit myself?

Thanks in advance

Shawn

Michael L.
Fri Feb 02, 2007, 03:33 AM
I use it. Make sure you dose CO2 though. I haven't been, and now I have serious green water. I bought a UV sterilizer today and I'm waiting for some seachem flourish excel for CO2 to come in.

The plants sure grow though.

shawn barker
Fri Feb 02, 2007, 11:12 AM
Thanks for the input Michael, I've got a pressurised CO2 system but I think I need to increase the ppm a bit to get it upto the recommended levels so touch wood thats that one covered.

How long have you been doing the EI method? Other than green water any other negative points or is it mainly a positive step forward in the care of your plants and fish?

I'm quite keen to try it out but a bit apprehensive of any detrimental side-effects to the discus and other tank dwellers...all the info I have read suggest that it is fine but like anything you read on the internet there is always a conflicting view.

THerefore any body else out there with some experience? :D