PDA

View Full Version : Does water go "bad"

Phathead6669
Tue Jan 30, 2007, 05:53 PM
Just wonder if water sits in a bucket over time if it will lose it mineral values and such?

What I have is about 7 5g buckets with lids that have rubber seals. I fill the buckets with water and use a de-chlorinizer<sp?> to remove the chlorine. This product only removes the chlorine and no other trace elements that I know off. These buckets can sit in my basement full for a week or more sometimes depend on the condition on my Aquariums(IE depending on how many I have set up at a given time.) Now I have never had problems with the water but am curious to know if any trace elements can be lost while the water sits still in a bucket?

Thanks for any feedback.

mistakes r crucial
Tue Jan 30, 2007, 09:01 PM
Not to my knowledge but personally I like to keep water moving, I don't like the thought of it just sat there but that's just me and nothing scientific.

If you are using a dechlor product it's advisable to make sure it also gets rid of chloramine. If your local water authority uses chloramine in the water and you are not neutralizing it you're basically shoving pure ammonia straight in to your tanks. Prime by Seachem is a great product to give you peace of mind in this respect.
MAC

Bill T
Tue Jan 30, 2007, 10:12 PM
I think the disadvantage of keeping water in sealed containers is that, if there is any nutrient in the water you may get some bacterial respiration going on - it would be virtually impossible to eradicate all bacteria from your equipment.