PDA

View Full Version : Fish rubbing against plants?

iro11a
Tue Jan 30, 2007, 10:18 AM
Well after doing a water change yesterday alot of my fish are rubbing against plants and stuff most the fish doing it have no signs of beening ill,i got the temp at 30 deg ph around 6.4 no ammonia >?

And also some of my discus mainly on fins have had these little white spots and havent gone away in 2 weeks should i treat that with protozin?

Cheers Jono

Bill T
Tue Jan 30, 2007, 10:16 PM
I reckon you better get those white spots under control - is it ick?
Also, do you have a UV sterliser?
Any other signs of distress like rapid breathing?

Now a days I take measures to match the paramters of my new water with the tank water to reduce stress on the fish as this could precipitate an outbreak of disease.

iro11a
Wed Jan 31, 2007, 05:48 AM
Its def not ick i think its a parisites or something,

I bought my first uv on sunday and installed it then.

But since iu have installed it one red eye tetra died laying at the top of the tank for 2 days not moving and heavy breathing and i got home just then to find my peppered cory on the top as well with a swallon gut and hes got looks red :( so i'm not sure about this ,uv dont seen all they cracked up to be for the price you gotta pay my fish are still having problems

Merrilyn
Wed Jan 31, 2007, 07:08 AM
A swollen red gut sounds like a huge bacterial infection. Nothing to do with your UV.

Your fish would have had this long before you got the UV unit.

If any other fish are showing signs of a red gut, you need to treat with an antibiotic.

UV units only treat bacteria and pathogens that are floating in the water. They won't kill any that are already embedded in a host, but it may prevent the disease from spreading to your other fish, via the water.

iro11a
Wed Jan 31, 2007, 07:44 AM
Hey thanks ladyred i treated the tank then with octozin and turned the uv off and see how it goes all the other fish in the tank are alright besides them rubbing agianst things but today they arent doing it only the day after a water change the fish in my other tank are also doing it today and i changed there water yesterday,i think im going to have to buy myself a ammonia test kit :?

Bill T
Wed Jan 31, 2007, 09:27 AM
Sounds like something in the water.
Several test kits may be in order to make sure the new water has the same parameters as the old water. You can stress the fish otherwise, and this makes them more vulnerable to disease.

iro11a
Wed Jan 31, 2007, 10:48 AM
Yeah need cash asap,if my water has traces of ammonia what can you do to get rid of it this could be a problem with newcastle water although i thought newcastle has the best water because we are about the only city that has no water restrictions

Jono

Bill T
Wed Jan 31, 2007, 10:26 PM
I reckon this:
Get your pH the same, treat the water to remove chlorine & chloramine (everyone here raves about seachem prime), get the temperature the same, and away you go!
Maybe use something like geoliquid - the guy at OAFI sells bulk packs of his own concotion which does a great job - I think this binds with ammonium, but I'm not sure.