PDA

View Full Version : Cycling a tank

axl
Tue Jan 30, 2007, 03:59 AM
Hi,
i have just added 12 sword tails to my 500ltr tank and have started to add this brew which contains bacteria and beneficials which i have brewed myself. How long will it take for my tank to cycle well enough for discus. What are the processes now with ammonia etc and what else needs to be done. Cheers Axl

mistakes r crucial
Tue Jan 30, 2007, 09:10 PM
Hi Axl,

IMO mate a few little Swordtails are going to take an eternity to cycle a 500ltr tank, I may well be wrong but it doesn't seem like much of a bio load on so much water to me. In a 6x2x2 I'd be borrowing 50 Gold fish for a few weeks or do a fishless cycle with pure ammonia.

What is the brew and beneficials you mentioned?
MAC

axl
Tue Jan 30, 2007, 11:07 PM
Hey,
i have gained this tank of a mate he had cichlids setup in it for about 6 months while he was living with me. Then he moved and all his cichlids died due to ammonia poisining and the tank wasnt used for about 4 months. Does this mean that the tank is already cycled???. This brew im making i purchased from the lfs and you brew it in 25c water with air for 6 hours and then pour the water straight into your tank it contains trillions of bacteria and beneficials. It says it helps to reduce ammonia, keeps water cleaner etc. This will def speed up the process becuase i have put in 2 lots now. What you reckon i should do.

mistakes r crucial
Tue Jan 30, 2007, 11:17 PM
I answered your PM.
MAC

axl
Wed Jan 31, 2007, 10:11 AM
i have found some pure ammonia so im going to give that a go. Any advice before i go and do it.

DiscusEden
Wed Jan 31, 2007, 10:30 AM
Save the poor little sword tails! Get them out first!

I might be wrong, but I'd be very surprised if they survive the level of ammonia you're about to put in to spike the levels in the tank for the bacteria to build up.

Is your ammonia clear or cloudy? Where did you get it from?

mistakes r crucial
Wed Jan 31, 2007, 10:42 AM
I'd hope that goes without saying!! Read the sticky on a Fishless Cycle and do exactly what it says, it works!
MAC

axl
Wed Jan 31, 2007, 10:45 AM
i have taken the sword tails out and i have added 10ml of pure ammonia and just checked the ammonias levels and there at roughly 10. I was lucky enough to get it from lfs he uses it all the time. I just happened to ask him and he had a 20ltr drum of it. Lucky

DiscusEden
Wed Jan 31, 2007, 10:48 AM
Well done, great find! I remember you saying you were having trouble. Good luck with it!