PDA

View Full Version : Help Feeding

deefa139
Sat Jan 27, 2007, 11:50 AM
I have kept Tropical Fish for many years and finally decided to try and keep Discus.

I bought three 4 cm fish on Wednesday and it is now Saturday and I canot for the life of me get them to feed. I have tried flake, frozen bloodworm and live bloodworm, beefheart and a frozen 'discus mix' but they will not touch it.

Water values are :

Temp 28
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate betwen 5 and 10
Ph 6.7
Gh 2
kH 0

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

At the moment they will come out from behind the plants until somebody moves ad their off like a shot hiding.

Thanks

John

Anf
Mon Jan 29, 2007, 09:03 PM
Try add some more fish in. :)

Bill T
Mon Jan 29, 2007, 10:25 PM
They sound like frightened little babies to me. Take your time with them. If they look otherwise healthy, they may be grazing and picking at food when there is nobody watching (ie spooking) them.

Standard advice would be to find out what sort of food they have been used to at the LFS, and feed them little bits of this.

Spend lots of quiet time in the fish room. Slow movements & not too close to the tank for a while.

I reckon they will get used to you pretty soon.

Del
Tue Jan 30, 2007, 03:07 AM
How big is your tank deefa139. Do you have any other tankmates in there?

DEL

nicholas76
Tue Jan 30, 2007, 03:16 AM
does sound like littel frightened discus.

Problem is once there spooked it will generally takes ages for them to come good.

pay less attention and dont over feed.

I like setting my temp at 30.

what parts are you from ??? in melbourne theres nothing wrong with a ph of 7.0 - and up.

deefa139
Tue Jan 30, 2007, 07:39 PM
Thanks for the replies I am in the UK.

They have settled down now and are instantly up at the front of the glass when you go anywhere near the tank. Its like they r different fish. I dd increase the temp to 29.5 and am feeding frozen bloodworm, artemia and beefheart. They are not too keen on granuled Tetra Prima yet though.

Is one frozen cube fed throughout the day (three or four portions) enough do you think or should I up it to 2.

Thanks

nicholas76
Tue Jan 30, 2007, 09:33 PM
Id feed several more.!

small fish need lots of feeding. Just break up the blocks and spice up meal time with a variety. get some tetra bit, brime shrimp etc

You will obviously need to do more water changes with this