PDA

View Full Version : Help Feeding

deefa139
Sat Jan 27, 2007, 11:49 AM
I have kept Tropical Fish for many years and finally decided to try and keep Discus.

I bought three 4 cm fish on Wednesday and it is now Saturday and I canot for the life of me get them to feed. I have tried flake, frozen bloodworm and live bloodworm, beefheart and a frozen 'discus mix' but they will not touch it.

Water values are :

Temp 28
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate betwen 5 and 10
Ph 6.7
Gh 2
kH 0

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

At the moment they will come out from behind the plants until somebody moves ad their off like a shot hiding.

Thanks

John

the german
Sat Jan 27, 2007, 12:05 PM
welcome to the forum john

i keep my discus at 30 degrees and that is what there need,some poeple say you can go to 29 because the plants like it not ot hot i
think that still ok.
the discus is a school fish and IMO 3 are not enough i think you
need at least 5 better 7.

iro11a
Sat Jan 27, 2007, 01:26 PM
Some my discus i got 3 weeks ago have only now sorta been interested in food one is eating the other two hardly touch the food.

Give them a little time to settle in they are probly really stressed out but you gotta watch out if they get stressed out too much they will fall sick then you will have all sorts of problems like me :x

How many litres is ur tank and you got any other tanksmates with the discus?

deefa139
Sat Jan 27, 2007, 02:04 PM
The tank is 60 litres until my 240 litre tank is cycled and the only other takmates are two albino corys.

FishLover
Sat Jan 27, 2007, 07:35 PM
60 l for 3 discus? You got be kidding! Put them into the 240 l as soon as you can. In the mean time, do 90% daily water changes!

mcloughlin2
Sat Jan 27, 2007, 09:52 PM
The tank is 60 litres until my 240 litre tank is cycled and the only other takmates are two albino corys.

Hi mate,

First of all, i have know idea why you would buy discus when your tank isnt even ready for them. :?

How long til the tank is cycled :?:

I think 90% daily WC's is going overboard. I think a 40% or so would be fine if the tank only has another week or so to cycle.

iro11a
Sat Jan 27, 2007, 11:00 PM
60 l for 3 discus? You got be kidding! Put them into the 240 l as soon as you can. In the mean time, do 90% daily water changes!

90%! water change i think thats far to extreme if they are only small discus they wil be alright for a month at a QT tank but you need to give them at least 40 litres each fish because some of mine have grown real quickly in the last 2 months :D

Like Mcloughin said about 40-50% water change every day or every 3 days would be alright.

Jono

deefa139
Sun Jan 28, 2007, 09:18 AM
I know they need to be in the 240 and they will be in about two days. I bought them because they were on special and I know I shouldn't have but I did. Anyway phoned the man at the lfs who said try feeding them from the botom which apparently is what they were used to in the shop - tried it and it worked all three are now eating. Hopefully they will eventually eat from the middle and top of the tank but who knows anyway just glad they are feeding.

Thanks for the reassurances from all who answered and thanks for the replies.

John