PDA

View Full Version : First of the Universe

DiscusEden
Sat Jan 27, 2007, 10:45 AM
I've just ordered one of these :D :D :D :D :D :D (Not enough happy in the world).

Just wondering what they are? I mean, I've seen pictures, but they say these are an F1, and I have no idea of what. Google's giving me nothing but piccies.

http://discus.fsharpe.com/images/discus-8.jpg

(Admin, please feel free to remove this link if I've been very bad, as this is not a sponsor's link, it's Nassau Discus).

Any ideas guys? They look maybe pigeonblood, or snakeskin?

the german
Sat Jan 27, 2007, 10:49 AM
it is a very nice fish..
why you have no name from them?
F1 is not much information :)

DiscusEden
Sat Jan 27, 2007, 10:57 AM
They're called "first of the universe".

I can't find any more information, which is why I'm posting, to see if anyone knows anything about them.

I thought they were beautiful too, which is why I've put my hand up for one. Thanks for getting back so quickly!

the german
Sat Jan 27, 2007, 11:01 AM
thats a very flash name :D
i think it will need a while till we find this name in the www.
but when it is a real F1 then it will hit them market massive soon because
there is so far i can see not much PB in it and i like that

Ben
Sat Jan 27, 2007, 11:43 AM
Mr Kitti was the developer of the pigeon blood discus as well as the FOTU discus.

F1 stands for ferial generation one. Your fish will not be an F1 but I am sure it is a nice fish.

http://www.kittidiscus.com/

DiscusEden
Sat Jan 27, 2007, 11:48 AM
Thanks Ben!

Is the FOTU a pigeonblood as well?

I'm still not sure of what was crossed with what to give a first generation? Is it a turk x pigeonblood for instance? It really doesn't look like a wild, or is it something crossed with a wild to give an F1?

the german
Sat Jan 27, 2007, 11:51 AM
i know what the F's for but why you think it's not a F1?

DiscusEden
Sat Jan 27, 2007, 11:52 AM
Presumably if it was they'd market it as such.

the german
Sat Jan 27, 2007, 11:53 AM
F1 means that the one kid is of the first generation is crossed back with
one of the parrents to get the coulours or pattern or form stabil

Ben
Mon Jan 29, 2007, 10:30 AM
F1 means that the one kid is of the first generation is crossed back with one of the parrents to get the coulours or pattern or form stabil

Thats not what F1 means mate. :roll:

Merrilyn
Mon Jan 29, 2007, 10:43 AM
F1 is the first generation offspring from pure parents.

For example, if you have a pair of wild caught fish, they are called wilds, but their babies bred in captivity are referred to as F1. In other words they are one generation removed from the wild.

When those babies mature and have fry of their own, those fry will be referred to as F2, two generations removed from the wild, and so on.

fish_r
Mon Jan 29, 2007, 10:50 AM
wow what a great looking fish :shock:
and some great info to go with it :)

DiscusEden
Mon Jan 29, 2007, 11:55 AM
I can't find any written information specific to the background of this fish. Am I missing it?

As ladyred said, the F1 label implies pure parents, but I'm not sure why they would label it F1 unless it was the first cross between 2 other strains or wildcaught, which begs the question, which strains? Or is everyone else as stumped as I am?

mcloughlin2
Mon Jan 29, 2007, 10:17 PM
Looks like another strain of a pigeon blood discus to me. :wink: Its for sure not a F1 as wildcaught discus cannot produce a discus with colours like that in the first generation. And even if it was F10 discus X a wildcaught it would not make it F1 it would be F11.

HTH

Sam

mcloughlin2
Mon Jan 29, 2007, 10:19 PM
I should also add i believe if they say it is a F1 it would only be a sales plot.

bushie
Mon Jan 29, 2007, 10:34 PM
so if they crossed an f1 with an f11, would that make it an f1 11 and would it fly?

:lol:

DiscusEden
Tue Jan 30, 2007, 12:07 AM
Thanks guys!

Given that it's one of the first lot of discus (this time around - the ones that hopefully won't need to be reported to the fish abuse report team), and I've never heard of it before, yes, I'm willing to believe it can fly. And write musicals, and maybe even breed!

All of your help is very much appreciated!

Robdog
Tue Jan 30, 2007, 12:25 AM
so if they crossed an f1 with an f11, would that make it an f1 11 and would it fly?

:lol:

I think your thinking about Aardvark's there bushie :wink:

mistakes r crucial
Tue Jan 30, 2007, 07:35 AM
LoL, I think Bushie smokes too much and he's the one that's flying!
MAC

nicholas76
Tue Jan 30, 2007, 12:10 PM
This is what a first of the universe can look like.

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=907

This used to be one of mine. :!: :!:

A very clean pigeon.

Who have you ordered yours through out of curiousty :?:

DiscusEden
Tue Jan 30, 2007, 12:24 PM
Beautiful Nicholas! Just what I'm hoping for!

I've ordered it through Xtreme - they're about to come out of quarantine I think. There are pictures on their posts, I think one might be the FOTU maybe.

And thanks for the confirmation that it's a PB. Much appreciated!

nicholas76
Tue Jan 30, 2007, 12:37 PM
Nice work :)

Extreme will take care of you with some quality fish.

Look forward to you posting pictures of your new tank mates.

:!: Remember when you get them they will more than likely be stressed so there colours wont be strong. These will come back over the following few days.

DiscusEden
Tue Jan 30, 2007, 01:11 PM
Will the colours still come back if I sit with my face pressed against the glass, saying "hello little fishy. I can see you and you're very pretty little fishy. You're all mine now my preciousses"? Or will that turn them as pale as it seems to make my neighbours?

fiftycal
Tue Jan 30, 2007, 01:22 PM
Will the colours still come back if I sit with my face pressed against the glass, saying "hello little fishy. I can see you and you're very pretty little fishy. You're all mine now my preciousses"? Or will that turn them as pale as it seems to make my neighbours?

Dont try that with pretty girls :lol:

nicholas76
Tue Jan 30, 2007, 09:30 PM
hehe seroiusly they will go white pale pinky red

DiscusEden
Wed Jan 31, 2007, 09:23 AM
Experience boys?

fiftycal
Wed Jan 31, 2007, 09:48 AM
Ummm my friend told me that...yeah my friend 8-)

DiscusEden
Wed Jan 31, 2007, 09:55 AM
Uh Huh. Where do you live?

fiftycal
Wed Jan 31, 2007, 09:56 AM
Long Bay Hotel :)