PDA

View Full Version : Trying to pair off this fish !

benjohnson
Thu Jan 25, 2007, 08:42 AM
Hello,

Got a problem im hoping someone will have an idea on.

I have a display tank, and the "Alpha" male in there was getting all friendly with this girl , however , all the other fish in there were beating him up someting chronic, although he gave as good as he got .

What its resulted in is me setting up his own tank, and I put the girl he likes in there with him thinking that now they were seperate maybe they would start pairing off properly without the distractions

All he has done since, is chase this poor lass round and round the tank, there is a cone in there which I thought would chill them out and give her somewhere to hide, but he just finds her and chases her about some more....

Is this normal behaviour for a "New" pair forming ... or is it that he dislikes her, or is it that he's ready to breed and she isn't? Shes only been in there for a couple of days and has been chased quite a lot of it, although their are times when they will sit together and he wont chase her... all be it that last about 10 minutes at a time.

Any ideas about whether I should take her back out or leave them to it ?

help much appreciated as always

Ben

Merrilyn
Thu Jan 25, 2007, 09:35 AM
Ben, take him out and put him in the main tank. Give her a week or so to settle in and claim the territory, then introduce him again.

He may be a little more polite to the lady next time.