PDA

View Full Version : EOI Exotic aquatic animal disease diagnosis

Bill T
Wed Jan 24, 2007, 04:33 AM
I do think they can pass the point of no return. Particularly if they sustain too much liver damage (a bit like humans). They can look not too bad, but their systems just build up with toxins and they fade away.

In any case, it would be good to know why they die. I want to do a course on fish illness diagnosis & how to do a post mortem dissection. You know, if it's a tumour, then you probably couldn't do anything to save them, but if it's bacterial, then you would want to treat the tank and other fish. If it's parasites, finding out which one could guide appropriate treatment for the surviving fish.

Merrilyn
Wed Jan 24, 2007, 05:57 AM
Bill, is there such a course available in Melbourne.

I'd love to do a course. I have a wonderful microscope (thanks to Xtreme) an excellent book on diseases (Untergasser) and I've taught myself how to make slides, but an actual course would be wonderful.

samir
Wed Jan 24, 2007, 06:15 AM
Here's one Merrilyn hth

Training
We can provide training courses covering:
exotic aquatic animal disease detection
prawn virus PCR
aquatic animal disease diagnosis.

AAHL Fish Diseases Laboratory
Dr Peter Walker
Stream Leader
CSIRO Livestock Industries
Improved control of aquatic animal disease
Phone: 61 3 5227 5165
Fax: 61 3 5227 5555
Email: Peter.Walker@csiro.au

Bill T
Wed Jan 24, 2007, 10:47 PM
I just sent an email to Peter Walker.
If he has some courses currently on the go, then I intend to enrol.
Otherwise, perhaps he could put together a curriculum and we could see how may people would be willing to enrol.

sammigold
Thu Jan 25, 2007, 01:12 AM
I would be very interested in something like that (depending on cost). I have been contemplating doing some sort of course for a while now.

Bill T
Thu Jan 25, 2007, 04:24 AM
Well, that makes three of us so far.
Anyone else interested?

sammigold
Thu Jan 25, 2007, 06:43 AM
May have to make a separate thread? otherwise we have hijacked big time. LOL