PDA

View Full Version : "Peppered" discus !!

Fishontherun
Wed Jan 24, 2007, 12:09 PM
Yoyo . hi guys ,..
When I was given my Red Malboro he doesn't have much pepper ...but now 2 months later it's all over the body .. .is there something in the water that make them go peppered ?? :roll:

scott bowler
Wed Jan 24, 2007, 12:23 PM
no not imo they just seem to get it as they grow not know why ,some one on here will but i have a few fish with it. it is only from pigon bloods some thing in the genes

the german
Wed Jan 24, 2007, 12:44 PM
yeah i saw that a few times too,it is like it grows with the coulor and the fish....
i think yust to much genetic stuff from pigeons

mcloughlin2
Thu Jan 25, 2007, 04:13 AM
Peppering is a strait that only discus with a pigeon blood backgroud can have. Your discus could have been fed colour bits, or maybe it was kept in more ideal conditons then it is at present.

You can reduce peppering by using a light substance and background. Or you could try a natural colour enhancing food.

You can't get rid of it, but there are things you can do.

jim from sydney
Fri Jan 26, 2007, 01:09 AM
Yoyo . hi guys ,..
When I was given my Red Malboro he doesn't have much pepper ...but now 2 months later it's all over the body .. .is there something in the water that make them go peppered ?? :roll:

Interesting.... i have the same with my MR's The female has developed some peppering, the male hasn't. The amount changes often especially after a big w/c.

i dont mind it however it is part of the intrique of discus.

cheers

nicholas76
Tue Jan 30, 2007, 10:19 PM
issues experienced by many im afraid.

That nice deep red clean pigeons look great in the store, get them home and two months later you have a peppered fish.

A change in diet,water conditions, planted tanks will always promote peppering.

I found bare bottom and bright tanks conceal it or assist in not showing it.

you cant beat genetics! you just need to pick a line thats generally pepper free and maintain these fish in the appropriate conditions.

fishhead
Mon Feb 05, 2007, 07:53 AM
Your discus may have be colour enhanced as the treatment wears off which takes about 2 months, more imperfections appear, such as the black dots, begin to show. An old trick of guppy breeders was to add methyl testosterone to ethyl alchohol then if added to the aquarium water at the perscribed dose would cuase the young female guppies to colour up so the breeder could select the right coloured females to ensure easier development of the strain. Unfortunately the same technique is being used on discus to enhance colour. Some countries are now using (so they tell me) out of date womens birth control pills, crushed up and added to the food, which produces highly coloured discus. This badly effects discus, both short and long term. Leaving discus growing very poorly, usually sterile and dying before their time.Buying local breed discus usually avoids this problem.