PDA

View Full Version : Melafix and algal bloom... any connection

Blybo
Wed Jan 24, 2007, 01:17 AM
10 Days ago I dosed my tank with the bottle recomended amount of Melafix. Noticed my tank looking a bit cloudy last Sunday so did 50% WC instead of my usual 30%. This cleared it up a bit for a day. Now it is going green and I'm suspecting its an algal bloom. This is surprising to me as I had turned down my lighting timer by 1 hour only a couple of weeks ago.

Could the Melafix have caused this?

Last night I added carbon to my filter and finally bit the bullet and bought a UV which is now inline on my cannister(eheim 2215) outlet tubing. I have another large WC planned for this evening if things haven't improved.

Bill T
Wed Jan 24, 2007, 02:25 AM
That UV should take care of the algal bloom, and water borne baterium as well.

Why did you think you needed the melafix, by the way?

Blybo
Wed Jan 24, 2007, 02:55 AM
I hope it will clear things up but didn't notice much change in the 4 hours before lights out last night.

My discus had a open sore on the lip (Swollen Lip thread in Illness section) and I was told this would help. She is well now but not because of the Melafix. A day later I decided to treat her in a hospital tank with flagyl(metro in liquid form) for Hex and all seems good if the display tank clears up.

My cannister is a 2215 eheim rated at 620 lires an hour. Is that too much flow for a UV steralizer?

Merrilyn
Wed Jan 24, 2007, 03:00 AM
The UV will gradually deal with the algae bloom, so be patient.

I have several different types of UVs connected to 2215s and they all work well.

How big is the UV unit (how many watts)?

Blybo
Wed Jan 24, 2007, 05:06 AM
Hi LR,
Thanks for taking an interest. It is a 5W UV, I got it from Justin at Subscape and he assured me it was big/strong enough as it is designed to work in ponds up to 3000 litres. My tank is 300l SunSun type.

Justin suggested that once things cleared up I did not need to use the sterilizer all the time. What do you think?

Last April I had Velvet wipe out most of the tank and I've just saved a Tiger Turk from Hex. If the likely hood of these returning can be reduced by using the UV 24/7 I will.

I will take out the carbon in a couple of weeks but after that will the UV effect my plant growth or ferts in the water. I am thinking of going with a CO2 system in the next 12 months

Thanks

Blybo
Wed Jan 24, 2007, 05:10 AM
Hi LR,
Thanks for taking an interest. It is a Pondmater?5W UV, I got it from Justin at Subscape and he assured me it was big/strong enough as it is designed to work in ponds up to 3000 litres. Aparantly this is Aqua One's brand for pond equipment. My tank is a 300l SunSun type.

Justin suggested that once things cleared up I did not need to use the sterilizer all the time. What do you think?

Last April I had Velvet wipe out most of the tank and I've just saved a Tiger Turk from Hex. If the likely hood of these returning can be reduced by using the UV 24/7 I will.

I will take out the carbon in a couple of weeks but after that will the UV effect my plant growth or ferts in the water. I am thinking of going with a CO2 system in the next 12 months

Thanks

Merrilyn
Wed Jan 24, 2007, 05:12 AM
All my UV units stay on 24/7 on planted tanks with CO2 running and in bare tanks.

Doesn't seem to affect the plants in any way.

Blybo
Wed Jan 31, 2007, 10:13 PM
Well as LR had suggested my water is now so clear it is amazing! My discus pair have spawned again, with no luck, and my female has made a full recovery from the Hex episode :lol: .

I'm loving this hobby again and can't wait to get my pair into a breeding setup once they've had a bit more pratice in the community tank.

Thanks to all those with advise over the last couple of weeks.

Cheers,
Neil

Merrilyn
Thu Feb 01, 2007, 12:47 AM
That's great to hear Neil. Should be plain sailing from here on. :P