PDA

View Full Version : new pair :)

fish_r
Tue Jan 23, 2007, 11:41 AM
i moved my discus around a cpl of weeks ago and moved all my bigger fish into my 5 foot community tank "6 in total"
i already have one pair laying eggs in there and as of today i have another pair laying in there :) it's my oriental dream "male" and red turk "female"
think it must be a sign to seriously set up a breeding tank :lol:
i would really love to have a go at breeding these two as there pretty good shape and markings :?:
heres a pic, sorry it's not very good cause of the flash...

scott bowler
Tue Jan 23, 2007, 11:46 AM
well done fish_r good luck with it all

DiscusEden
Tue Jan 23, 2007, 11:46 AM
Well done fish_r, they make a lovely pair! I'd love to see the offspring from them.

Is this the fish that you bought recently?

the german
Tue Jan 23, 2007, 12:07 PM
well done!!

looks like a very interesting mix!
i hope we get some pics in a few month time to see wich pattern the fry come up with.

fish_r
Tue Jan 23, 2007, 12:19 PM
thx guys
yep DE one is the one i got about a 6 weeks ago the other iv'e had for a while and laid in the other tank too...
doubt i'll get any fry in this tank, really want to set up a breeding tank but not sure ?

DiscusEden
Tue Jan 23, 2007, 12:22 PM
What's not to be sure about? They're beautiful. Please let them breed successfully!

Go on, do it, you know you want to.

the german
Tue Jan 23, 2007, 12:38 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
yes cmon you really want to.

i have two who look very similar one of them is very nasty to all the other fish :? but since pairs are getting together he get wacked :o

fish_r
Tue Jan 23, 2007, 12:46 PM
just the having to setup RO water puts me off as i have no idea how it works ?

DiscusEden
Tue Jan 23, 2007, 12:54 PM
Hmm, don't know about that. It sounds like you wouldn't get great success rates without from what discus lover's been saying, but is it worth giving them their own tank and trying? They're soooo pretty, it'd be sad not to try.

Do you have access to rainwater to mix with the tapwater instead? (I have no idea what I'm talking about by the way).

fish_r
Tue Jan 23, 2007, 09:54 PM
i did actually get off my fat ass the other day and finally cleaned out my 3 foot set up and refilled it with water and added an ornament, just gotta get a sponge for it and decent air pump.
i am seriously considering giving it a go :)

ILLUSN
Tue Jan 23, 2007, 11:42 PM
Hi Fish_r whats adelaide rain water like? Dad and I have been having good results with sydney(Penrith) Rainwater in our tanks, PH is about 6.7-6.8 and EXTREAMLY SOFT, were setting up a couple of breeding tanks with it.

samir
Wed Jan 24, 2007, 06:53 AM
the snakeskin you have in your calendar would be a better option to pair with than the turquoise , provided its a female.

fish_r
Wed Jan 24, 2007, 07:51 AM
Hi Fish_r whats adelaide rain water like? Dad and I have been having good results with sydney(Penrith) Rainwater in our tanks, PH is about 6.7-6.8 and EXTREAMLY SOFT, were setting up a couple of breeding tanks with it.
not sure on Adelaide rainwater, as all we have for rain water is open top plastic 44's for the garden and wouldnt risk putting that in...
think i'll just have to do some research on RO
my tap water hardness is off the scale, but the substrate in my big tank brings it down too 8, so not too bad...

the snakeskin you have in your calendar would be a better option to pair with than the turquoise , provided its a female.

yep they look pretty similar, but it is a lot younger than the big one and a fair way from breeding i think....
not sure what to do ? maybe just leave em in the community tank for now .

DiscusEden
Wed Jan 24, 2007, 10:38 AM
my tap water hardness is off the scale, but the substrate in my big tank brings it down too 8, so not too bad...

I take it this is the GH? I went to the lfs afew months ago and they told me the hardness of Adelaide water was 0-1, and to add shells. Was that the kH?

[/quote]
not sure what to do ? maybe just leave em in the community tank for now .[/quote]

Yeeees... You could do that..... Or remember plan A? It was a cunning plan, where you put the pretty fish in the clean 3 ft tank and cross your fingers. I still like that plan. :D :wink: :D

fish_r
Wed Jan 24, 2007, 11:36 AM
I take it this is the GH? I went to the lfs afew months ago and they told me the hardness of Adelaide water was 0-1, and to add shells. Was that the kH?
yep gH, out of the tap last i tested it, it was about 14 "250.6ppm"
tank approx 8 "143.2ppm"
not sure what there talking about 0-1 ?
ur kH will change depend on how much c02 ur pumping in, but mines around 3-4 "53.7 - 71.6ppm"
dont shells harden the water ? or is it the other way round ?
i'm not real good with water chemistry...

Yeeees... You could do that..... Or remember plan A? It was a cunning plan, where you put the pretty fish in the clean 3 ft tank and cross your fingers. I still like that plan.

think i'm gonna just leave em in the community tank for now and let em do there thing 8-)
at least till i feel more confident setting up and managing a breeding tank...