PDA

View Full Version : regards fin rot and white pimple like things

iro11a
Tue Jan 23, 2007, 07:40 AM
As things cant go any worse! with my other tank one my pigoen bloods has been fin niped a bit from others in the tank so hes back fin is a bit damaged and also he's got little white pimple like things over him.What is the best treatment for this?

Cheers Jono

Merrilyn
Tue Jan 23, 2007, 10:44 AM
Sorry to hear that Jono. As if you don't already have enough to worry about :?

We need a bit more information on the white spots, are they large or small, lots of them or just a few, are they on the fins or the body, and is every fish covered in them or just one?

Any new fish in that tank? Or have you had a problem with a heater lately?

iro11a
Tue Jan 23, 2007, 11:02 AM
Yeah tell me about it,i think i might have to get a Uv for this tank to stop the bad bact but i don't know enough about them.

Well the white spots are a bit raised from the fish only on one side of the fish he is the only one that has this the other 4 discus are all heathly,The PB is eating as normal but hiding behind the plants alot more, although still comes to get food.The Pimple like things look the same as the other thread called pimple like things!

I did intruduce new fish about a week ago 2 flame Gourm*.

I was thinking about moving the PB to my other tank which is beening treated with octozin but i was going to see if he has any improvment by tommorrow mourning.

Oh also i been treating the tank with melafix cajeput oil,i was going to try and get photos but you cant see them from my digital only 4 mega pixals :oops:

Bill T
Tue Jan 23, 2007, 11:10 AM
I don't like the melafix. I reckon it does no good and possibly some harm as in disrupting the discus slime coating.
If your fish has had a scrape, then the pimples could be lifted/missing scales with a bit of infection (whcih a good health slime coat would deal with).

Get the UV - your discus will love you for it.

I'd be inclined to wash out the melafix & observe. Then a course of myxacin for bacteria. If that does not work, Chris seems to be having some luck with protozin.

Good luck.

iro11a
Tue Jan 23, 2007, 11:15 AM
Hey do the local aquarium sell the uv's and what sorta price would i be looking at i got a canister filter is it best to hook it up to that or get a internal one.

I was thinking about the protozin but wasnt sure,With the melat fix i think its alright to repair fins and stuff but my local aquairium always tells me to use it whenever you get funga infections i keep telling them it does nothing.

Bill T
Tue Jan 23, 2007, 11:24 AM
Trust the force, Luke! or in this case, the discus forum.

Blitz the melafix (I've got a lrage bottle of it I can't bear to throw away because it cost what it did, but I think it might work as window cleaner).

I got this UV from the guys at Bell St. Coburg. It's actually made for outdoor use, but it's working fine hooked up to my canister. I think it cost around $250.00 - you can pay lots more for better equipment, for sure.

As far as the LFS goes, they are well set up for selling you things like fish and melafix. The only LFS that made any sense to me was the guy at Oakleigh Aquarium - he positively scoffs at the idea of medication, favouring instead well maintained aquarium & healthy fish, plus a few magic water additives.

Merrilyn
Wed Jan 24, 2007, 02:31 AM
Got to agree with Bill here. I've never had much luck using Melafix with discus. Not sure if it's something to do with the different slime coat they have, but I've found it to do more harm than good in many cases.

You can buy a UV unit from one of the online stores at a much better price than from your local fish shop.

Shoot a PM to Aquarium Supplies Australia (a sponsor of this forum) and ask them for the correct size unit for your tank. It may not be as costly as you think.

iro11a
Wed Jan 24, 2007, 10:28 AM
Haha yeah the good old melfix this will be the last time i try it next time the local aqariums tell me to use it i will tell them where to go! :P

I order a Uv already for $169 will hook up onto my outlet pipe off my canister and i think it was 9watts,so hopfully have that up and running by this weekend,hope it keeps away all those nastys that have been worring me soo much :D