PDA

View Full Version : peat not lowering pH

Lungfish
Mon Jan 22, 2007, 11:43 AM
Hi Guys,

My tank is about 2 months old now with just a few cardinals to get the nitrate cycle going. These are my hardness and pH levels:

KH: 3
GH: 8
pH:7.4

I got some peat from my garden center, put 500ml or so in a stocking and put that in my filter. 2 days later, the pH is exactly the same (although it seems to have softened the water a bit). Is there a specific type of peat I should be using to get the pH down?

FishLover
Mon Jan 22, 2007, 02:31 PM
Peat is not going to have a huge impact on the pH. It will reduce pH a bit over time. It needs a lot amount to work. You did not say how big was the tank. 500ml may not be enough if you have a big tank. You also need to replace peat once it is no longer effective.

I would also be careful with the peat you get from the garden center. Make sure they don't add nasty things in it. It could kill your fish.

Lungfish
Mon Jan 22, 2007, 04:23 PM
my tank is 250l, what sort of peat should I be using and how often do you need to change it?

Robdog
Mon Jan 22, 2007, 06:43 PM
Are you in Oz or elsewhere?

Lungfish
Tue Jan 23, 2007, 02:57 AM
I'm in South AFrica

samir
Tue Jan 23, 2007, 03:05 AM
get something from your pet shop that contains phosphoric acid. add one ml at a time and slowly bring the ph down. peat will soften the water and in a bit the ph will gradually come down. are you using carbon in your filter ?

Lungfish
Wed Jan 24, 2007, 06:46 AM
Hi Samir, yes I am using carbon. At some stage I'd really like to breed discus, is it ok to be using phosphoric acid if I intend to do this?

samir
Wed Jan 24, 2007, 06:47 AM
if you're using carbon along with peat, the peat wont work.

FishLover
Wed Jan 24, 2007, 02:17 PM
If you want to use peat, use it in a different container to bring the pH down. You need to run the water through lots of peat for few days in order to have a stable pH reading. After that, you can use that water to do your water change. Make sure to heat it up to the same temp as your tank water. A bit of more wark.

Don't use carbon.