PDA

View Full Version : Discus and Spotted Silver Dollars?

Rick
Mon Jan 22, 2007, 11:37 AM
Hi
I'm setting up a new tank and wanted to know if spotted dollars would workout long term with discus? Currently I have them in a 6 X 2 x 2 tank, and they seem to get on fine, only the spotted dollars are a little more racey around feed time. I have 8 discus and 8 spotted dollars all at about 8 - 9 cm.

Next week I will be relocating all into a 10 x 2 x 2 tank running two 3500 lt hr external filters, and they will be sharing with two panaques and a sunshine pleco. If the spotteds are'nt a good idea I will just get rid of them and replace with more discus.
Thanks for any advice.
Rick

sammigold
Mon Jan 22, 2007, 11:59 AM
Rick, I would have thought the higher temps that the discus require would be unsuitable for the silver dollars... I keep my silver dollar about 3 or 4 degrees cooler temp than my discus... Just my opinion though I suppose...

Maybe the skittishness of the silver dollars may freak out the discus a bit... but you seem to be having no problems at the moment and in a 10ft tank they will have even more room so may be a moot point.

cheers
sammi

Rick
Tue Jan 23, 2007, 10:10 AM
Thanks Sammi,
I know the temps should be different, but I guess in summer up here the fish have to deal with temps as high as 32.
Thanks again
Rick

sammigold
Tue Jan 23, 2007, 12:49 PM
cool!