PDA

View Full Version : driftwood question

tlambert
Sun Jan 21, 2007, 12:23 PM
i got a whole heap of drift wood the other day have it soaking now to leach tannins (and man does it have a lot) but my question is the wood is very soft should it be in some spots i can pick it off with my fingers nail i dont want to have to get rid of it as these are very good pieces some being three and a half foot long any ideas if this is suppose to be but if i have to turn it into garden mulch so be it :wink:

scott bowler
Sun Jan 21, 2007, 02:23 PM
try to brush it over so you dont have to many flaky bits and see how it goes :lol:

nicholas76
Thu Jan 25, 2007, 11:11 AM
have you got yourself a high pressure spray gun??

or go to the local car wash put it on high pressure rinse and all the gunk will come off nice and easy.

tlambert
Thu Jan 25, 2007, 01:43 PM
i am a bit worried about this wood anyway might just scrap it its so soft falls apart in your hands but are some excellent pieces will post some pics maby :wink: but thanks all for the comments

nicholas76
Thu Jan 25, 2007, 09:59 PM
if its as soft as you say it is it sounds almost rotted? i wouldnt use it then.

tlambert
Thu Jan 25, 2007, 10:32 PM
yeah i think it is almost rotted on the bright side it sunk yesterday will osak it for another week squirt it off and see what i think then thanks for the help

sammigold
Fri Jan 26, 2007, 10:59 AM
I had a piece like that and it is now sitting beside the pond out the back... it still looks cool but not where I wanted it to be :-)

tlambert
Fri Jan 26, 2007, 02:30 PM
yeah i acually said that today that theyll all end up next to the post i have a very very nice three foot long piece with three legs sits up very nice that is the only one that seems ok

sammigold
Sat Jan 27, 2007, 12:05 AM
Well ones better than none. :-)

tlambert
Sat Jan 27, 2007, 12:18 AM
i agree with that now just got to wait a while for the tannins to leach and it has alot of it :wink:

sammigold
Sat Jan 27, 2007, 12:20 AM
Have you been boiling it? That helps to get heaps out fast!

tlambert
Sat Jan 27, 2007, 05:14 PM
nah they are all very decent size pieces and wouldnt fit in any pot i have the small ones are 2foot by 2foot
:wink:

sammigold
Sat Jan 27, 2007, 11:03 PM
You need a big bath on a fire out the back!! LOL

bun
Sun Jan 28, 2007, 01:01 AM
Ooo :P SA hey.. do you mind if I ask where you got the driftwood from?

DiscusEden
Sun Jan 28, 2007, 01:23 AM
Hi Bun,
If it's any help I got a lovely 4 1/2 ft piece from Seaview Aquariums in Perth (sponser here), shipped to Adelaide & the shipping was free! (Well included in the price, which was 1/3 of what I expected to pay, and around the same as may 2ft pieces I'd seen for sale in Adelaide.)

I'd looked everywhere I could think of in Adelaide & found nothing of a decent size.
HTH