PDA

View Full Version : Aqualina Double Compact Reflector 36'' 2 x 96w

g.c.discus
Sat Jan 20, 2007, 01:57 PM
does anyone use this light set up? after opinions on it
thanks mark :)

Proteus
Sat Jan 20, 2007, 11:05 PM
I have just found out that these units will not work with any of the new powerboards that are installed in brand new houses/units/town houses.

My Aqualina worked fine at my last place, but due to new load capacitors built into the latest design safety switches the hard load circuit of the light trips the power every time. (it works fine at other places (older circuit boards)).

Unlike T8 & T5 lights, PC's dont use starters and put a very heavy load on the power at start up (in your case it would be almost 200 watts). (i.e. when you turn on a T5 it can take several seconds before the light warms up and draws maximum current, with a PC it happens instantly)

I have had an electrician check the light, and it is fine, he then looked at the circuit board and said that was the issue and it would be costly and illegal to modify it (due to new regulations relating to approved devices).

Strangely enough, my Metal Halides are fine, it is only the PC's that screw up (2 x 96w, 2 x 55w Total 302w)

g.c.discus
Sun Jan 21, 2007, 09:41 AM
thanks proteus. would these lights over heat my hood/tank?Aqua Medic T5 Sunbeam Fluorescent (2x39w)

Proteus
Sun Jan 21, 2007, 09:57 AM
I find that PC's get a lot hotter than T5's although if you provide enough ventilation they will work in a hood just fine

ryan
Mon Jan 22, 2007, 10:36 AM
i have a 4x55w (48inch) and 1x~90w (36inch) under a hood - and while it does get warm under there ive had no problems - I also have mine into two separate power boards and touch wood have not had issues yet

Nathan
Sat Jan 27, 2007, 01:59 PM
i have the exact light your tlkn about gc, its excellent i love it, although it does get a bit hot they work just wonderfully, my plants go crazy since having it and its not a bad looking unit either.

definitely a great light

Proteus
Sat Jan 27, 2007, 10:10 PM
definitely a great light

Maybe some, but there are a few lemons out there, I have one of them and I know of 2 others who cant use the lights anymore.

Nathan
Sat Jan 27, 2007, 11:40 PM
oh i didnt know that, i just assumed after my experiences with this one unit that all of them would be as good quality.

Proteus
Sat Jan 27, 2007, 11:47 PM
Maybe a lot are, but I know of a few that are not.

There are lemons in every basket... lol