PDA

View Full Version : Hygiene Info For 2nd Hand Tank Please

Mrs Whippy
Sat Jan 20, 2007, 01:38 AM
I am picking up a Juwel Rio 300 today which I bought 2nd hand. Although it is in 'mint' condition, I am quiet worried as to how I can make sure that it is Bacteria/Virus Free on the first clean before I stock it?

Most advice I have only found say, 'wash it out with clean, lukewarm water only & with no chemicals', but I'm not too sure on this, as the info on what was stocked in the tank before I purchased it doesn't state if the fish previously were in good health or not? (But I know it wasn't Discus!).

I'm just wondering what prevention I could take knowing how organism's can be so disruptive, and thought that prevention might be better than cure?!

I was wondering about a diluted dose of sterilizer that you use for baby's bottle's, as long as I stick by the instructions & rinse really well after??

Please advise,

Thank you

Merrilyn
Sat Jan 20, 2007, 02:46 AM
If you don't know the origins of the tank, then it's much better to be safe than sorry.

Fill the tank with water and add 2 cups of plain chlorine bleach. You don't want the one with detergents added, (that will cause a horrible mess) just get the plain one.

Drop in all the hoses and cover glass, substrate, driftwood and anything else thast came with the tank. Splash the bleach right up under the cover and into all the corners.

Leave for 24 hours then empty and rinse thoroughly several times and finally add a triple dose of chlorine remover to the water.

Empty and leave dry for 48 hours, then fill as per normal.

Mrs Whippy
Sat Jan 20, 2007, 03:52 AM
Thank you LadyRed!

I knew I would get the right advice here! And you certainly know what your talking about! You backed up my initial sublime brain waves, but I wanted to be defffinately safe & not sorry!

:D :D :D

samir
Sat Jan 20, 2007, 04:42 AM
If only we could put a microchip into her, wire her brain to the internet and access information via a search link on the forum. :lol: :lol:

DiscusEden
Sat Jan 20, 2007, 06:20 AM
I thought we had. Isn't that what this forum is all about?

Mrs Whippy
Sat Jan 20, 2007, 11:06 PM
Not everyone is a clever dick!

Mrs Whippy
Sat Jan 20, 2007, 11:12 PM
But Im glad their are a few on here, as it makes my life & fish a lot easier!
(No rudeness intended on the last message!)
Cheers