PDA

View Full Version : new discus tank

tasr
Mon Sep 20, 2004, 11:11 PM
Just set up a 39 gal. tank for discus, going to let tank cycle for about amonth. While the tank is cycling I am going to cut a whole in the wall and put a 55 gal. tank in the wall. Is it alright to transfer the water and filter from the 39 gal. tank to the 55 gal. tank? I hate to have to wait another month. I got alot more questions but i will wait being this is my first time here

maddyfish
Tue Sep 21, 2004, 12:28 AM
So you're going to transfer the filter and the water from the 39 to the 55 and then just add water to fill the 55 completely, right? Sounds like it will work well to me.

Trebs
Tue Sep 21, 2004, 02:05 AM
Same number of fish initially? If so shouldn't be a problem.

Merrilyn
Tue Sep 21, 2004, 03:35 AM
Thats an excellent way to do it. Why not add another filter so you have both tanks cycled at the same time. One can be transferred to the 55 and the other stays in the 39. Two fully cycled tanks. There is an excellent article on fishless cycling on this forum. Have you thought of trying that method.

flukes
Tue Sep 21, 2004, 02:04 PM
I would still be testing the bio-logical filtration out, before adding fish. Bacteria will grow on the walls of the 39gal you cant transfer that. You will still lose bacteria if you move filters and water.

If it was me id add a few mls of ammonia too the 55g too see how it goes, if it can desolve a 3-4ppm reading in 24hours then its ready too go, but i dont think you would have transfered enough bacteria for this too happen.

It will help dont get me wrong, cycling wouldnt take long at all but i dont think it would be enough,

tasr
Tue Sep 21, 2004, 10:41 PM
I am using a Ehiem 2227, I figure the bacteria should be colonized fairly well in a month. When using goldfish to cycle your tank does anybody treat their water before adding discus? The reason I am asking half the goldfish have finrot and poop clear.

Merrilyn
Wed Sep 22, 2004, 11:58 AM
Outch! That is something you DON'T want to transfer to your discus. If I were you I would give the goldfish idea a miss and go with fishless cycling. That way your tank is fully cycled without the danger of transferring any disease into your tank. Feeder goldfish used for cycling tanks often host a number of diseases, anyone of which could be fatal to your discus.

tasr
Wed Sep 22, 2004, 02:49 PM
Could somebody give me a link to the fish less cycle for your tank? I know nothing about it.

kalebjarrod
Wed Sep 22, 2004, 08:55 PM
http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=895

nice little article :wink:

tasr
Wed Sep 22, 2004, 10:35 PM
I am going to try the fishless method, but what test kits do I need to get?

Merrilyn
Thu Sep 23, 2004, 01:21 AM
You need Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate test kits, and you should always have a pH test kit. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

kalebjarrod
Thu Sep 23, 2004, 07:38 AM
why wouldn't you,

no harm to our fishy friends

got to love that!