PDA

View Full Version : Quick easy breeding feeder fish?

Bill T
Wed Jan 17, 2007, 04:13 AM
Does anyone know of a fish that I could breed quick & easy...like stick some in an aquarium and let em rip....so I could use the young to feed to my discus?

ILLUSN
Wed Jan 17, 2007, 04:18 AM
GUPPIES!!!!!!, i breed them up to feed my turtle, new young every 1-2 weeks.

samir
Wed Jan 17, 2007, 04:32 AM
most livebearers

Bill T
Wed Jan 17, 2007, 04:35 AM
Guppies, yes, but don't they eat their young, so I would have to catch the females & put em in a breeder thingo?

ILLUSN
Wed Jan 17, 2007, 05:35 AM
to be honest my guppy breeder tank is a grow out tank for my baby rare echinodorus plants (1x2x1.5 eheim 2213 no gravel just ~10-14 pots VERY HIGH LIGHT and CO2 24C) and is very densly planted, I've never sperated parents from young and still have more then I can deal with. I think guppies can be left with their young my 3 breeding females are always pregnant and the young grow up fast

scott bowler
Wed Jan 17, 2007, 07:29 AM
go down to the local creek and get some gambiza or mozy fish they are in every water way up here in nsw. just catch a heap and put them in a clean tank for a few days so they clean up a bit then go for it. but just a note why do you want to feed live fish to your discus. they may get to like it and if you breed then it may be a prob

Dan
Wed Jan 17, 2007, 07:29 AM
Guppies are easy as to breed.

Sometimes the parents will eat the young but they have soo many a few losses doesn't really matter.

I have them in a pond and they have multiplied rapidly.

samir
Wed Jan 17, 2007, 08:09 AM
so I could use the young to feed to my discus?

didn't read that part :shock: a trip to the supermarket with a printout of Ladyred's recipe will be the way to go. alternate that with frozen bloodworm , brine shrimp , mysis shrimp, MAC's flake food and you wont need anything else.

the german
Wed Jan 17, 2007, 11:14 AM
i wouldnt take anything out of lakes or creeks you can get bad things with it like the carp lice