PDA

View Full Version : Solenoid on the regulator

axl
Tue Jan 16, 2007, 04:49 AM
Hi,
i have just setup my co2 in my tank with a solenoid on the regulator and its pluged into a timer with the light. When the light comes on at 2pm the solenoid turns on which shows a red light but there are no bubbles coming out of the bubble counter hence there is no co2 going into the tank. I have got the needle valve set at 1 to 2 bubbles per second and when i turn the needle valve up co2 comes out but i dont want to do this everytime as im at work most of the time. Whats the go with it. How do i fix the this problem.cheers axl

Bad Inferno
Tue Jan 16, 2007, 08:53 AM
What size solenoid do you have...port size.

I am inclined to believe either of the following:

1. The solenoid valve has an inlet and outlet port. Do you have this around the correct way. ?

or

2. Even though the solenoid is energised the valve is still stuck on the seat. Thus by increasing the co2 flow more pressure is applied to the valve and the stem opens.

I reckon its 1 above. Show us the valve and I can help some more

axl
Tue Jan 16, 2007, 11:28 AM
here is a picture of the regulator and solenoid. The first pic is of the way set it up and then i swaped it around in the second pic so it was facing the arrow. Is the second pic right??? should this turn on this way

Bad Inferno
Tue Jan 16, 2007, 11:50 AM
The setup looks OK and as I see its an actual co2 setup (not home built)...Is the solenoid is suitable for 240VAC and not 12 or 24VDC...?

Does the regulator have a gauge ? what have you got it set for ? I run mine at something like 10-15 PSI.

Bad Inferno
Tue Jan 16, 2007, 11:54 AM
Make sure the solenoid has 240VAC written on the side of it before proceeding....As the solenoid is energised you should feel the movement of the valve stem. grab hold of the brass body and cycle the power to the solenoid, you will feel a slight movement as the valve open and closes.

ellwa
Tue Jan 16, 2007, 12:55 PM
Make sure the solenoid has 240VAC written on the side of it before proceeding....As the solenoid is energised you should feel the movement of the valve stem. grab hold of the brass body and cycle the power to the solenoid, you will feel a slight movement as the valve open and closes.

you should also be able to hear an audible click.

axl
Tue Jan 16, 2007, 09:21 PM
there is a knob on the regulator but i cant adjust it. At the moment its set on 17psi. It says its 240v on the side of the solenoid. I just turned it on then this morning and it makes a loud click noize when i turn it on but there is still no bubbles coming out of the bubble counter

ellwa
Tue Jan 16, 2007, 09:47 PM
don't hurt me, but is your CO2 tank full?

and is it open?

Nathan
Wed Jan 17, 2007, 12:31 AM
don't hurt me, but is your CO2 tank full?

and is it open?

yeah make sure those two things are done aswel, sounds simple, but its always the simplest things you forget.

also make sure youve opened the needle valve, the gold knob at the end of the solenoid, try turning it both ways, maybe you havnt got it open enough

axl
Wed Jan 17, 2007, 01:51 AM
i turned it on manually then without the timer and there were bubbles coming out of the buble counter but very slowly so i turned the needle valve up so it was at 1 bubble per second. Then you could the see airline slowly building up with c02 then it all of sudden releases out of the powerheard and makes the bubble counter release way to much co2. Thats not good. Why is this. Must have somthing to do with the needle valve setting. what do you guys have it set on how many bubbles per second

ellwa
Wed Jan 17, 2007, 02:04 AM
I have a similar thing with my system.

it comes on in the morning, when the lights come on, and the bubble start to flow, about a bubble a second or so, but they don't start coming out of the diffuser straight away, it takes about 10 minutes for the pressure to build up inside the diffuser, under the ceramic plate[i have an ADA style diffuser] and then it flows nicely until the lights go off at night, and the nightlight comes on,bringing with it the air stone.

axl
Wed Jan 17, 2007, 02:09 AM
i wonder if that is happening to mine to and i just checked its about 25% full so its not far off getting it filled.

axl
Wed Jan 17, 2007, 03:44 AM
everytime i set the needle valve for 1-2 bubbles per sec then turn it off as soon as i turn it back on straight away there is a little bubble sitting at the bottom of the counter where the co2 comes out. Def no 1-2 bubb per sec when its back on again i have to keep readjusting the valve. Whats the go

ellwa
Wed Jan 17, 2007, 04:50 AM
you will need to let gas pressue do its thing.

if you leave it for a few minutes after it comes back on, does it sort itself out?

axl
Wed Jan 17, 2007, 04:58 AM
i will have to try it out tnite and see what happens after i leave it for a while, also whats the best way to makesure you have 1-2 bubble per sec just count in your head???

ellwa
Wed Jan 17, 2007, 05:31 AM
yea, just count the bubbles, for like,m 10 seconds or something

axl
Wed Jan 17, 2007, 09:35 AM
i tried it again tnite and when i turned it on bubbles come out straight away Wooohh, so i think the problem is fixed

ellwa
Thu Jan 18, 2007, 12:16 AM
see

easy as devouring a few BBQ pork buns at yum cha :)

[excuse the food reference, but eating is just one of my favorite things, especially yum cha!]

axl
Sun Jan 28, 2007, 10:17 AM
hey,
my solenoid is still playing up when it turns on there are bubbles coming out slowly and its set to 3-4 bubbles per second. what the go with it. Then somtimes when i turn it on it pumps out like 10 bubbles per second (really quick)