PDA

View Full Version : Aging water

DiscusEden
Mon Jan 15, 2007, 08:04 AM
Just wondering what the minimum safe time water should be aged for if no chemicals are used, before adding it to the tank?

I've just bought a 100L barrel & put an airstone in it, and want to put the water into a tank that's cycling, to deal with the evaporation. The power went off briefly last night & the water level's so low that the top filter over the AquaOne won't draw up, so I've had to turn it off. I'm hoping the Eheim 2028 will be enough.

Out of curiosity, once the tank is cycled, if Prime is added, how long should it ideally be aged for?

TIA,
DiscusEden

Merrilyn
Mon Jan 15, 2007, 11:13 AM
Ideally 24 hours which will allow the pH to settle to it's normal range. Usually the water out of the tap has a higher pH and will drop on standing for 24 hours.

That's the main reason for standing and aging water. The other is that our water is so bad at the moment, it will allow the Prime to fully neutralize the chlorine or chloramine in the water, before you add it to the tanks.

DiscusEden
Mon Jan 15, 2007, 11:22 AM
Thanks ladyred,

At the mament I'm not adding anything, just waiting for the chlorine/chloramine to blow off - is 24 hours the right amount of time to allow this?

The other question is whether to have the lid on during aging? I thought if I left it off it might allow for more gas exchange, but if I put it on it would be darker & reduce algae growth and other things (cat hair) getting into the water. What's the usual practice?

Thanks again!

samir
Mon Jan 15, 2007, 11:35 AM
chlorine will blow off, i don't think chloramine will, use prime, leave the water for 24 hours and aerate to let the ph settle. the way you're doing it is just setting yourself up for a major disaster the moment the water company decides to add a bit more.

Merrilyn
Mon Jan 15, 2007, 11:39 AM
Chlorine will be removed from the water just by aging and having an airstone in the barrel.

Exposure to air does NOT remove chloramine (it is chlorine with ammonia bonded to the chlorine molecule to make it more stable. Water boards use this in times of low water levels.)

If you use a product that removes only chlorine from the water, the ammonia will be left behind, adding to your ammonia levels in the tank. If you use something like Seachem "Prime" it will remove both chlorine and chloramine.

DiscusEden
Mon Jan 15, 2007, 11:45 AM
Thanks all! Very much appreciated!

If I put the product in tomorrow night in the barrell, can I put the water straight in, or do I leave it for another 24 hours?

Merrilyn
Mon Jan 15, 2007, 11:48 AM
Put it in the barrel, and you can use it within a few minutes, say around 10 minutes just to be safe, and to properly mix the Prime.

DiscusEden
Mon Jan 15, 2007, 11:51 AM
If I'm cycling at the moment and want the ammonia, how long after putting the chlorine remover in the barrel before I can put the water in? Same rule?

Thanks again for your patience with me, I just want to get it right!

Merrilyn
Mon Jan 15, 2007, 12:00 PM
Hmmm that's got me thinking. The amount of Prime that you use would be only what is required for the water in your barrel. Don't really think it's possible to 'save' the ammonia to use it while cycling a tank, but I would think that Prime would become ineffective after an hour or so in your aging barrel.

Maybe an email to the Seachem Company would clear up the length of time their product works after adding to water.

DiscusEden
Mon Jan 15, 2007, 12:05 PM
Can do. Or I was thinking a quick trip to the lfs tomorrow for some chlorine only remover? Just until the tank's cycled.

DiscusEden
Mon Jan 15, 2007, 12:44 PM
I just found this on the Seachem website:

"Prime works by removing chlorine from the water and then binds with ammonia until it can be consumed by your biological filtration (chloramine minus chlorine = ammonia). The bond is not reversible and ammonia is still available for your bacteria to consume. Prime will not halt your cycling process."

So do I believe this & just throw it in, because it's contrary to everything I've read here?

Thanks again guys!

samir
Mon Jan 15, 2007, 12:50 PM
it converts ammonia and nitrite to a non toxic form. no need to complicate things, if you're getting so worked up with a water change, by the time you start breeding discus you'll be a wreck. keep things simple.

DiscusEden
Mon Jan 15, 2007, 12:56 PM
lol. I know it Samir.

Also found this on their website though:
"Prime dissipates from your system within 24 hours."

So I'm chucking the Prime in, waiting until tomorrow to put the water in & hoping for the best.

Thankyou both, very much appreciated. And I'll try to get a grip.

Merrilyn
Tue Jan 16, 2007, 02:37 AM
We all learn by asking questions DE. You've raised some very interesting points. :P