DiscusEden
Mon Jan 15, 2007, 04:52 AM
I'd like some help please with the lighting. Here's what I have:

I don't know if I've got enough light. The AquaOne tank came with Atman:
10000K 25w super light
15000k 25w tri-power light
10000k 30w super light
There are 2 sets of these lights, each 3 feet tubes (6 in all),
and the tank is 2 foot tall, 540L, 6foot long, about 18" deep.

Shewey suggested that I swap out the 15000k - I'm wondering what to, and whether I can just fit another globe straight in.

They look like T8's to me, but I don't really know.

I'm happy to change any or all of the lights, but I don't know what to, and being new to this (last tank I just went into the shop when the last one blew & they handed me something & I paid for it), I'd appreciate specifics bout brand, size & wattage.

I've seen great effects with red & blue spectrum lights with discus - this will be a display tank with CO2, and was wondering if one of the lights could be this?

TIA & sorry for the long post,
DiscusEden :wink:

ellwa
Mon Jan 15, 2007, 05:06 AM
540L/4=about 135gal
and your lighting is 160W.

you should be looking for about 300W of lighting, 2WPG, at least.

DiscusEden
Mon Jan 15, 2007, 05:10 AM
Thanks for the extremely quick reply!

So how do I go about getting it?

Can I use the lighting hood that came with the tank, but different globes, or do I have to throw it out & buy something else - if so, what?

Thanks!
DiscusEden

ellwa
Mon Jan 15, 2007, 07:15 AM
I don't know very much about those tanks[I don't know anything about them]

I have a Dalbarb tank, and I managed to get an Aqualina light fitting that is still enough to fit in, but I found heat from my standard T8 fitting that I used to have, when sitting on the glass heated it up too much. So i chopped up a coat hanger, and attached the light to the top of the hood.

I believe there would be a few options for you.

First things first, how do you feel about a tank without lids?

with a volume like that, I'd be suggesting looking at metal halide options, is it possible to remove the hood, and mount light[s] from the ceiling, or build a bracket to mount the lights on?

Is there much spare room inside the hood?

There are a few websites that sell retro-fit kits to fit t5 tubes, and come with the bits you need.

There is a place in Hornsby, I can dig out their number, who make lighting fitting, and you could get them to build something into the existing hood.

That would include ballasts, etc. You could also then have multiple power cords[something I wish I had] so that you can switch all the lights on by timers, and be able to simulate sunrise/sunset etc.

There are also ways to "soup up" your standard T8 tubes, that involve some work inside the power transformers, or using biggest transformers for smaller tubes. it can double the light output, but reducing the life of your lamps.

Then there is the power compact option, also.

If you have any electrical skills[all fairly simple stuff, really] you could look towards buying a T5 or power compact fitting from ebay [they're a dime a dozen] and do the retro-fit yourself.

might mean drilling a few holes in the hood, potentially, but it would certainly be the cheapest option.

I'll dig out some URLs and phone numbers for you, but there will be options, you just need to do your research.

It took me 6months to find the light fitting I needed, because I needer 100+ watts of light, but with only a 60cm space[I have a corner tank, that is nearly 2ft deep], but after shopping around, and going to probably 30 aquarium stores, I finally found what I wanted.

hope that helps...

DiscusEden
Mon Jan 15, 2007, 07:40 AM
Um, thanks. I'm no electrician myself. My father's an electrician, but as you may know about this deal, the things at his house are the last things done, with the exception of the things at mine. The UV steriliser's still sitting there because he promised to come back to fit it. I'll do it myself soon.

This tank didn't come with lids, so that's no problem. The hood has a removable perspex cover underneath.

I'm reluctant to hang things from the ceiling, mostly because of the instalation, partly the cost of running it. I think if I can I'm either looking at other globes for the current hood, possibly hiring an electrician to change the fittings in the hood, or to buy plug-n-play a T5 fitting/hood thing as 2x 3 foot units. What do you think is the better option?

DiscusEden
Tue Jan 16, 2007, 11:49 AM
Had a look at prices.

Don't think I'll be going the metal halide :shock: .

I'm looking at T5's after talking to the lfs & electrician today. They said 2x banks of 4x 80w high outputs should do it. "Just reach the bottom". Does this sound right, and what level of lighting would this give me?

The second question is whether I can put these into the hood, or would this be too hot & it needs to go into fittings on brackets above the tank?

Thanks again guys, much appreciated! :D

fish_r
Tue Jan 16, 2007, 12:51 PM
T5's are definately the go, especially cause u have a deep tank, if ur dads an electrician he should have no problem stripping out ur old lighting and retro fitting T5's
the benefits of T5 are they are run off electronic ballasts, no flickering and instant on + ur tubes will last u around twice as long as T8's, they do run a little hotter than T8's but if u mount a cpl of computer fans in ur hood u should be right.
i dont run any fans on mine but i only have 2 x 80w, but it gets pretty warm in the hood...

They said 2x banks of 4x 80w high outputs should do it.
am i reading this right that u are going to have a total of 8 x 80w tubes ???
if so that would be 4.74WPG and way over the top + i'm pretty sure u wouldn't fit 8 tubes in the hood...
think ur talking about 4 x 80 tubes all together = approx 2.37 WPG
which would be a good level of light...
personally cause ur learnig i wouldn't go much over that amount of lighting
cause high lighting is high maintenance and is very hard to keep a good ballance of ferts etc and then u will have algae probs etc...

i can thoroughly recommend these T5's
http://www.aquariumsuppliesaustralia.com.au/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=155
and would mount in ur hood ok..
the only thing i dont like about the lights are the clip on reflectors, cause they swivel when u open the hood, but i ended up screwing mine to the inside of the hood...
HTH....

DiscusEden
Tue Jan 16, 2007, 01:03 PM
Does help very much! Thanks fish_r!

I know I've got to stop asking things, so I'll try to after this, but I just want to check (again) - the 2 banks are to cover the length, so if I'm reading you right, there would be 2 lights on the left & 2 on the right, and that would be enough?

So I could replace 2 of the 3 current T8's with T5's (on the left & right), leave the other T8 in for blue/red pretty fish spectrum and that would be enough?

If I've got this right you've made my night!

Thanks again!

DiscusEden
Tue Jan 16, 2007, 01:24 PM
6 foot tank, 3 foot globes and fittings

fish_r
Tue Jan 16, 2007, 01:37 PM
I know I've got to stop asking things, so I'll try to after this
pretty sure thats what the forums all about, better to ask and get things right the first time :wink:

to be honest i wouldnt go more than the 4 x 80w tubes total gives u a total of 320watts 320watts ./. 135g = 2.37wpg... i really struggled to keep my water in a good condition with over 2.5wpg, not saying u cant, but it's a lot more work and with around 2.5 wpg u can pretty much grow most plants with the addition of co2 anyway.
+ T5's are a stronger light than T8's so the WPG rule is a little out too.
the only thing with the 80w T5's is there only 153cm's long and u would have to stagger the two banks to cover the tank...
only other way to do it would be to get 2 x 2ft 2 x 4ft fittings "which would probably be too long"
saying this i havnt seen ur hood, but i'm sure ur dad will be able to suss out weather it will fit or not...

DiscusEden
Tue Jan 16, 2007, 01:48 PM
Thanks fish_r. I've given up asking Dad for now & I'm going with the electrician. He's going to look at it for me again tomorrow, then if he thinks he can do it, I give the parts & the hood to him & he takes it home to work on it.

He keeps asking me why I need aquarium T5's and not just broad spetrum T5's from the wholesaler. I keep telling him "'cos", but I don't think he's following the logic & keeps giving me long talks about phospherescent spectums and stuff. He's probably going to read this, but is there a link to why that's better? I'm getting the one you pointed out, by the way fish_r, just curious about the mechanics if anyone knows?

Thanks again for your help everyone, that's made my night! Yay, I have a plan!

ILLUSN
Wed Jan 17, 2007, 05:15 AM
DiscusEden to be honest you don't need aquarium T5's full spectrum T5's will work just as well if not better as long as they are HO!!! I use 4x39w T5HO on my 4x2x2 HEAVILY PLANTED discus comunity tank. Factory they had 14000k tubes which were bright but the plants never did that well, after 2 months I changed 2 to 10000k these were noticbly brighter (probably due to human eye being more sensitve to this color spectrum) and the plants did noticbly better. Both the 14000k and the 10000k are strong in blue but weak in the red spectrum although the 10000k's are better, I've since replaced the last 14000k with 6500k ( I assume better in the red spectrum) and the plants LOVE IT! If you can get wholesale T5HO's with a good spectrum (Good peaks in both Red and blue) GO FOR IT!! I've been disapointed with both the spectral info and/or longevity of just about every aquarium T5 I've ever used so maybe non aquarium is better. Also don't forget to replace your tubes, even with T5's you'll have to do it ever 12 months. Sorry bout the long post

ILLUSN
Wed Jan 17, 2007, 05:18 AM
here's a link to color temp and spectral info on tubes for planted tanks
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/science-of-lighting/26955-color-temperature.html

ellwa
Wed Jan 17, 2007, 05:31 AM
I had a pair of plant tubes in my 2x 55W plant/10000K tubes.

but they were promoting algae growth, so I went back to 2 actinic/1000K tubes, and its never looked better.

fish_r
Wed Jan 17, 2007, 07:00 AM
with my aqua medic sunbeam set up i use 1 x 5000k planta tube and 1 x 10000k ocean white, uv'e seen my tank and i think this balance of lighting gives very good plant growth and the colours of my fish look great...
http://www.aqua-medic.com/products/products.php?category=Lighting&product=Aqua%20Medic%20T5%20Bulbs
5000k and 10000k covers both the red and blue spectrum needed for good plant growth "see link above"

ILLUSN
Wed Jan 17, 2007, 07:15 AM
FISH_R How do you find your Planta tubes? 1 of mine burnt out in about 7 months after 3 months i noticed a black band around the end of each of the tubes nearest to the printing. I'm using reef octopus 2x54w T5's i got them a lot cheaper than the aquamedics. they run electronic ballasts ( instant start i couldn't find program start) and individual parrabolic (gullwing) reflectors, paid $220(AU) for them with 6500k T5 and a 4x39w t5 of Ebay ,not bad $140 but with only 1 old school flat reflector. the reef octopus far out shines the ebay even though it's only got 1/2 the wattage :) PM me if anyone wants details

fish_r
Wed Jan 17, 2007, 07:36 AM
havnt had a problem with mine "yet" think i'm up too about 12 mths "no black bands" due to get some new tubes when i can afford it.
ASA prices are very good on aqua medic tubes i think @ $26.95 + they have a good variety of T5 tubes available now, although only two varieties in the 80w T5 :(

i did see some t5 lights available on e-bay but the wattage wasnt consistant with the wattage on true t5 HO lighting ? thought they were too good to be true @ that price..... would rather pay extra and get quality myself, but thats just me....

DiscusEden
Wed Jan 17, 2007, 10:08 AM
Thanks so much for your help guys! I love this forum, everyone's so generous!

I showed this thread to my electrician today, and he kept saying "Yep, that's what I thought, yep, that's what I said". So I think we're on, I'm getting good lights. He kept shaking his head at the price, but I carefully explained to him that I can't see the point in getting a $2000 aquarium and properly stocking it if you can't see it. (Left out the whole plant argument.) I think I've worn him down.

I can only see a 5 foot (approx) model in the fitting fish_r mentioned, so we're talking about 2 of the 5' fittings (2 globes each), staggered, unless there's a 3' model. Thanks again for your help!

ILLUSN
Wed Jan 17, 2007, 10:51 PM
G'day DiscusEden, 3ft t5's are available they are 2x39w tryhttp://www.reefinglife.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=22_38_62&products_id=271

DiscusEden
Mon Feb 05, 2007, 11:03 AM
OK, so I had a plan, involving retro-fitting the hood with 2 staggered 5 ft aqua medic units, each with 2 80w globes. But ASA implied that they don't know when they'll be in. "Don't hold your breath" I think was the phrase.

Then ASA went and put their Geismann units on sale - a 5ft 4x80w unit. But the unit won't sit with the braces on the edge of the tank, the electrician's reluctant to get up in the roof again, and i don't knowif it would be OK to either use the braces part way along the unit (rather than at the end, so I can put it on the struts that are bracing the tank), or if I could just sit it on the struts where the hood is at the moment.

Hope some of that makes sense.

The geismann systems are only on sale tonight, so no pressure, but some advice ASAP on whether I should get them would be much appreciated!

Thanks again guys!

fish_r
Mon Feb 05, 2007, 11:27 AM
hi DE
u really need to rip the guts out of ur hood and mount it in the hood, but i'm not sure how much room u have etc if u do that u dont need an electrician, just a matter of taking the old out and fitting the new in.
but u need to take measurement etc ?
i wouldnt sit it on the braces of my tank, it should be raised off the glass some how cause they get a bit hot too
"nice light though" :)
hope iv'e helped a little, but is hard to say without seeing ur hood.
"any chance of a photo and dimensions of the hood"

DiscusEden
Mon Feb 05, 2007, 11:52 AM
Thanks fish_r.

I'm really getting nowhere fast with this picture thing. Tried a copuple of ways to add a picture with no success. The closest I can get is a link to one:
http://www.aquaone.co.uk/AquaGrande_aquarium.php

The hood is internally 173cm, 5cm deep from the current metal backing to the perspex cover which slides out.

The electrician has agreed to take the hood & strip it. Given that my handyman skills are slightly below my picture loading skills, I think that's the way to go.

Is the geismann better than the aqua medic?

Thanks again![/img]

fiftycal
Mon Feb 05, 2007, 11:56 AM
I wish I had the money for a geismann lol.

The aqua medic is out of stock anyway in ASA

DiscusEden
Mon Feb 05, 2007, 12:04 PM
Yesss, but with 2 of the aqua medic needed, that's $800, the geismann is on special tonight for $975, and there's this whole layby concept for forum members.

Still trying to work out if it will fit & if the product's enough of an improvement to warrant another $175.

I really don't want to face the electrician with trying to hang the thing - he talked me out of the MH's for that reason (and the running cost), so I only want it if can put it in the hood, or better yet, on brackets.

fish_r
Mon Feb 05, 2007, 12:07 PM
definately if u can mount it in the hood it would make things much easier and safer.
ive read nothing but good things about geismann, it's quality :)

DiscusEden
Mon Feb 05, 2007, 12:11 PM
Any opinions about whether it could be done? (Would the unit fit?)

http://www.aquariumsuppliesaustralia.com.au/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=2170
Is the geismann unit.

Thanks again!

Proteus
Mon Feb 05, 2007, 12:20 PM
DiscusEden, there is no hurry in regards to the Giesemann pricing. Take your time so you get what is right for you. If the Reflexx is the right one, just let the powers that be know, and the special price will be held over for you.

I am expecting my Refelxx 4 x 80w unit to arrive very soon and will be doing a full review on it.

And Giesemann units are top quality, IMO better than Aqua Medic

DiscusEden
Mon Feb 05, 2007, 12:26 PM
Thanks Proteus!

I keep thinking everyone here is great & helpful, it's a healthy little community, and time & time again I get bowled over by people going above & beyond!

Very much appreciated! (Yet again!)

Do you know how deep the unit is? Would you mind including this in your review?

Thanks everyone!

shewey
Mon Feb 05, 2007, 12:28 PM
DiscusEden,

I bought the new model Giesemann Reflexx model (4x54watt) for a 4 foot tank and its awesome. It starts immediately and is so quiet. Definately money well spent in my opinion.

Cheers,
Shewey.

Proteus
Mon Feb 05, 2007, 12:33 PM
This is one of the features which makes this light, and others by Giesemann stand above the rest... obviously quality comes at a price, but hey, we only live once :P

Up to 4 T-5 lamps can be switched in pairs and the T-5 lamps are equipped with self-adjustable mountings and electronic ballasts which ensure flicker-free operation and low power requirements.

fish_r
Mon Feb 05, 2007, 12:35 PM
Any opinions about whether it could be done? (Would the unit fit?)
is there anything else in the flip up front bit or is it only lighting ?
i think ur only problem could be width and depth ? there is no width or depth of the light sizes on both ur picture and the info on ASA ?
so too hard to say ???

DiscusEden
Mon Feb 05, 2007, 12:39 PM
obviously quality comes at a price, but hey, we only live once Razz

So why not live it poor & happy? :wink:

OK, just need to find out whether I can fit the sucker. :shock:

Thanks again!

I'll wait to hear how deep the units are (Height from top to bottom), then decide if I can get it in the hood.

DiscusEden
Mon Feb 05, 2007, 12:43 PM
Yep, that's where I'm at fish_r. Waiting to find out the sizes of the units.

There's nothing else in the hood but 6x3ft T8's, which are staggered in 2x banks of 3.