PDA

View Full Version : White pimple that looks like its gunna pop

Cafe Tropical
Thu Jan 11, 2007, 05:31 AM
My big guy has a white lump that looks like a cone shaped pimple with a head (like it's ready to pop).

Can anyone help identify this parasite? (sorry my camera batteries are dead).

What do I treat it with?

(thanks)

I've got discus and loaches, BNs in the tank.

Merrilyn
Thu Jan 11, 2007, 05:35 AM
Kerry, where abouts on your fish is this pimple?

If it's on the body, it may well just be some kind of "pimple", but if it's on the head area or along the lateral line, it could be the start of 'hole in the head' disease, and will need to be treated.

Cafe Tropical
Thu Jan 11, 2007, 05:38 AM
hi Merrilyn,

Its on the side, down about 1cm from where the forehead meets the dorsal fin.....

Cafe Tropical
Thu Jan 11, 2007, 05:42 AM
I actually saw a discus in a LFS with the same thing, and the woman said it 'could' be a parasite....

I was just about to dose the tank with prazi.

Cafe Tropical
Thu Jan 11, 2007, 05:43 AM
I'll try get a pic (hurry up batteries)

Merrilyn
Thu Jan 11, 2007, 05:45 AM
Kerry in that position it sounds pretty harmless. I wouldn't be using any medication at this stage.

Increase your water changes to keep the water very clean, and let nature take it's course, but keep us updated.

Cafe Tropical
Thu Jan 11, 2007, 05:47 AM
Thanks Merrilyn. She seems happy enough (guarding eggs atm).

Will get a pic as soon as........

Cafe Tropical
Thu Jan 11, 2007, 07:13 AM
here's a pic (not great batteries ran out) see white lump, top left, just below dorsal fin of the blue turq....
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j41/Kerpa/BluTurqpimple11Jan.jpg

Cafe Tropical
Thu Jan 11, 2007, 07:15 AM
Wow looking at my blue turq... that thing... what ever it is could be coming out of the other side... OMG. I will keep a close eye on it.

NAH - I'm just paranoid - nothing on other side, just air buble or something in pic from H2o change....
Phew !

Cafe Tropical
Thu Jan 11, 2007, 08:07 AM
According to http://www.nationalfishpharm.com/fish_diseases/skin_disorders.html

Flowchart for skin disorders (this sounds like the prob perhaps)

"Elongated oval objects measuring up to 10mm, stick up out of the skin "
"This involves the egg pouches of copepods, e.g. Lernaea. The anterior portion of the parasite is burrowed deeper into the skin "

"Treat with Praziquantel -or- De-Los. "

I shall keep researching.....

Anyone had experience with something like this before????????

fishgeek
Thu Jan 11, 2007, 08:11 AM
yellow grub, an encysted intermediate live stage of digean parasite

praziquantel would like be effective
doesn't look like lerna to me

andrew

Cafe Tropical
Thu Jan 11, 2007, 08:19 AM
Thanks Andrew, although I don't understand alot of what you wrote, I shall google your info, digest & hopefully be enlightened!

How would it have gotten into my tank ???

Thanks heaps for your info !

Proteus
Thu Jan 11, 2007, 08:54 AM
How long have you had this fish.

If you have only just recently purchased it I would be wary of getting any more fish from the same place. The last time I saw a similar thing was on a fish that I purchased from a place that wont be mentioned, needless to say, it brought a whole lot of parasites and diseases into my tank, even after 2-3 weeks in a QT tank. Once it was introduced to the main tank, every fish got sick.

On my fish it almost looked like a zit that needed squeezing

Cafe Tropical
Thu Jan 11, 2007, 09:07 AM
How long have you had this fish.

About 18 months. Hi Rohan. So what is it ???
I'm about to dose prazi....

On my fish it almost looked like a zit that needed squeezing

That is exactly what it looks like....

Proteus
Thu Jan 11, 2007, 09:13 AM
Have you introduced any new fish?

I used Prazi 1st, then after a week tried salt water dips, then Formaldehyde & Malachite Green, lastly Protozin, this was over a period of 4-5 weeks. I lost a couple of smaller Discus but eventually the other 12-14 fish pulled through ok.

Cafe Tropical
Thu Jan 11, 2007, 09:31 AM
Have you introduced any new fish?

I got 4 clown loaches (small) about 3 weeks ago.

Ok I'll start with prazi tonight....

Cafe Tropical
Thu Jan 11, 2007, 10:54 PM
The good news this morning is that the 'pimple' is much smaller in diameter.

I didn't treat with anything last night....

Thanks everyone for your valued input.

sammigold
Fri Jan 12, 2007, 12:07 PM
One of my discus had a pimply like thing on it a while back and my LFS guy said it was likely a fatty deposit of some sort... just keep an eye and keep water optimum and it would go away... and he was right... mine wasnt that big but it was similar area and it did go away.

endless
Sun Jan 14, 2007, 04:37 AM
yeah i have a particular discus with this problem. It always disappears after a few days however it seems to reaccur every couple of months. Doesnt seem to bother the fish though and still eats/fights like normal

ddertiiool
Mon Jan 25, 2021, 10:24 PM
Kerry, where abouts on your fish is this pimple?

Discusleeds
Tue Apr 26, 2022, 08:46 PM
Hi,
Been keeping discus for 2 years and had no issues until this jan one of my discus got like an eye cloud which then turned into a white pimple looking thing on its pupil. This all happened while we was away for a week and a friend watched them.
I’ve treated the fish with melafix and all the white fungus stuff has disappeared on his body and the pimple on his eye is gone expect a white small rim around his pupil - looks like it’s inside the eye rather than on it.
He is now healthy, acting normal and even paired up with another discus and trying to raise offspring.
But the white ring is still on his left eye. It’s not changing and I’ve tried treatment again but it looks the same. - im wondering if he could of lost his sight in that eye and it is just permanent damage. Which really saddens me but I would like to know any thoughts on the matter because I would hate to leave it just encase there is another treatment that I can give ago.

Cheers,