PDA

View Full Version : Disinfectant

elvip
Wed Jan 10, 2007, 09:24 AM
Hi all,
Just wondering if any forum members are in the habit of disinfecting their aquarium tools (vacuum, nets, hoses etc) with a disinfectant before each use on different tanks ??- so as to avoid cross-infection between tanks and therefore minimise the risk of disease transmission and spread.
If so, what type of disinfectant(s) are used and are suitable for aquariums (esp discus)- so as not to harm the fish?
Also where can you purchase these disinfectant(s) from??
Cheers
Elvip :D

jim from sydney
Wed Jan 10, 2007, 10:31 AM
I am anti chemicals so use hot water to clean up and then in the sun for a few days. Sometimes i clean things in a salt solution first and then in the sun.......salt kills everything.
cheers.

elvip
Wed Jan 10, 2007, 09:29 PM
Hi Jim,
Do you use any particular concentration of salt in the salt water bath??
Cheers
Elvip

Bill T
Thu Jan 11, 2007, 12:34 AM
I would use chlorine bleach. Rinse thoroughly afterwards and dry in the sun.
Fanatics will have a separate set of equipment for each aquarium.

Del
Thu Jan 11, 2007, 01:05 AM
What about cleaning breeding cones?

DEL

Merrilyn
Thu Jan 11, 2007, 03:48 AM
I use chlorine bleach to disinfect nets, then dry them in the sun after a thorough rinse.

Breeding cones get scrubbed with salt, then a dip in bleach too.

For normal tank cleaning, I would use a handful of salt on a sponge and scrub, but if a tank has had a disease of any kind, I will soak it and all the filters etc. in chlorine.

Del
Thu Jan 11, 2007, 04:21 AM
Maybe that's why my pair's eggs got fungus...

DEL

elvip
Thu Jan 11, 2007, 04:24 AM
Hi Ladyred,
Is chlorine bleach the same as the average household bleach?
Cheers
Elvip

Merrilyn
Thu Jan 11, 2007, 04:57 AM
Elvip, you need the cheap one - the home brand type. All the others, like White King and Domestos have detergent added, and we don't need that.

This is one time when cheap really is better :P

samir
Thu Jan 11, 2007, 05:06 AM
Elvip, you need the cheap one - the home brand type. All the others, like White King and Domestos have detergent added, and we don't need that.

This is one time when cheap really is better :P

i used white king and it took ages to get the detergent off.N ow i use black and gold.

Maybe that's why my pair's eggs got fungus...
DEL
your eggs got fungus because your tank had fungus spores. next time use methylene blue, a sterile tank and don't feed.