PDA

View Full Version : Newish Discus

gingerbeer01
Wed Jan 10, 2007, 07:36 AM
Bought Discus 2 weeks ago - well Mrs Gingerbeer did as she couldn't resist. 3 Browns 50C peice size- 1 rd spot turquoise - bit bigger 2 gold malboro - or something goldy colour biggest.

3 browns settled straight away - biggest golds was happy - littler gold not as happy - not seen eating but going over and considering food - probably eating when not looking - red spot turqoise never settled in.

spotty never saw eat and would hide more than the others. Generally never showed colour - black stress colour. Figured give him time as struggling to settle - especially as only red spot in with supremist golds. (I reckon my Golds are Nazis) Thought spotty was just stressed and didn;t concern me until one of the browns has also started to hide and turned brown.

Poo is nice and solid so rules out worms. No white slime - no gasping - breathing normal so rules out plague - Woooooo Hooooo

But not happy.

I have dosed tank with tetracycline as a general knock out whatever it is. Any ideas?

Oh year pH about 6.8 no water quality probs. Tanks mates 8 white tip tetras, 2 rams, a couple of killies and some apistos - currently boreli - he is the crankiest in the tank, except for Nazi discus. 6 foot tank so no probs with overcrowding. External and Internal Canister filter on tank. Tank is planted.

Steve

samir
Wed Jan 10, 2007, 08:02 AM
did you check ammonia levels before treating. i wouldn't recommend using antibiotics in your main tank, or as a random single dose . i would keep an eye on ammonia levels. maybe a few water changes will help with your problem. when using antibiotics, use a separate tank and complete the entire recommended course, even if the fish get better earlier.

Merrilyn
Wed Jan 10, 2007, 11:27 AM
Tetracycline will knock out your bio filter, along with any other nasties in the tank, so unfortunately you now have the added problem of cycling your filter again.

Try to get hold of some used filter media from another healthy tank to give your cycle a kick start.

gingerbeer01
Thu Jan 11, 2007, 06:54 AM
Well Little Nazi Discus has picked up due to treatment. I can't find the brown that has gone off colour but not surprising as tank has lots of plants and driftwood so taht if a fish doesn;t want to be found - it can't be.

You are quite right that I should have used a seperate tank to treat but don't have one suitably set up - and felt I had to do something.

Considered filter issue and figured with the plants and low bioweight should get away with it. Good idea but Ladyred and as I will do a water change tommorrow arvo I will squeeze a couple of sponge filters into the canister to give it a little boost. Will have a look round and see if I still have any bugs in a bottle type stuff.

Spot is not looking good and I am resigned to losing him.

Worst of all now I am going to Perth for two weeks - so have to hope all is well in my absense.

Steve