PDA

View Full Version : Breeding Plants!

Fisher
Tue Jan 09, 2007, 07:15 AM
Hello!I haven't got big expirience with plants.I want to know how to breed plants!An old methods are by tearing off stems or sheets.I've read that many plants are breeding by seeds.Unfortunaly there aren't much information about it!If someone know about this,i'll be very glad to see answers! :P

iro11a
Tue Jan 09, 2007, 07:23 AM
Hey depends what sorta plants you wanna breed i found indo fern's are the easiest because they will just drop new babyplants on the bigger leaves,but if i want other plants best way is to split them up and cut them back because i found if you cut off the older leaves it will intise the plant to make new grouth.Amazon swords i have no idea how you make cutting of them anyone else know?

Hope i helped best i can good luck!

Jono

Fisher
Tue Jan 09, 2007, 12:09 PM
Firstly-thanks for replay!Secondly-i'm intrested in breeding of Anubias and Echinodorus. You can visit this site

http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/travel/Leong_Oriental.html

There are million of plants,and i realy don't think that they breed them as you wrote.Also i've resd that somewhere are seeds of these plants,they just plant and grow them for selling!But the problem is- where to get this seeds and how to plant them!If someone know this information-i'll be very glad.

gingerbeer01
Wed Jan 10, 2007, 07:58 AM
Anubias need to cut stem with sharp sterile knife and split into multiplae plants as ages.

Echinodrus will send runners.

Comercially both are grown emersed as shown in picies, but can be propogated in tank

Steve

stonedavid
Fri Jan 12, 2007, 10:44 PM
some plant outlets nowadays also cultivate plants using agar cultures the same as orchid growing. This way they get thousands of plants from the one speciman, allowing them to mass produce and cutting theire time frame by years.
Pete

ILLUSN
Wed Jan 17, 2007, 07:22 AM
if you already have a large echinodorus and you want to propgate first look at the crown at the base of the plant. If you see multiple "whirls" of leaves you can dig up the plant and split it one crown per plant, if not try changing your photo period i got my Horemanni's to flower (FINALLY) after cutting them back from a 12hr to a 9hr photoperiod. also if you really want baby plants REALLY FAST plant in a shallow tank/tub so as the leaves are just under the surface, allow the plants to break the surface and once they have 3 or 5 leaves growing emersed they'll start flowering, once the flowering is done you can collect seed (if you're VERY lucky) or submerge the flower spike and you'll get 2/3 baby plants per node, will try to post pics of my emersed setup later tonight.

ILLUSN
Thu Jan 18, 2007, 11:54 AM
As promised, here's a few photos of my emersed setup, i'll get a new thread going once i iron out all the bugs this is the FASTEST way i've found of propgating Echinodorus

ILLUSN
Thu Jan 18, 2007, 11:57 AM
Close up of baby plants about 4-6 weeks old just about to break the surface. this tub contains baby Devils Eye, Marble queens, Ozolet Green and bleheri

Fisher
Tue Jan 23, 2007, 05:08 PM
You have breed them as you had written?How to breed them in big scale?

ILLUSN
Tue Jan 23, 2007, 11:27 PM
hi fisher, yes thats how i've bred all my Echs. all the plants in that tub have come from parent plants in my tanks, due to lack of space and warm weather i've had to move them outside and figured i'd try an emersed setup, as you can see all is going REALLY WELL, in an atempt to further accelerate growth of the young plants i've started VERY HIGH CO2 additon and the growth rate has accelerated further, still i have not been able to produce seed as no 2 plants have been flowering at the same time. in large scale production i believe echs are grown hydroponicly emersed in small black platic pots filled with rockwool. these plants are hept at high light and VERY HIGH humidity. I believe CO2 addition is not necissary as CO2 in air is at more than adiquate levels for plant growth. will post pics tonight of plants after 1 week of high CO2 addition.

scott bowler
Wed Jan 24, 2007, 02:55 AM
hey looks good are you goin to sell some of them when you gett them up if so im in always looking for new plants for my tank all the best

ILLUSN
Thu Jan 25, 2007, 12:40 AM
PHOTOS AFTER 1 WEEK CO2 ADDITION SORRY THEY'RE DARK WAS LATE BY THE TIME I GOT HOME LAST NIGHT

ILLUSN
Thu Jan 25, 2007, 12:41 AM
Baby Devils Eye

ILLUSN
Thu Jan 25, 2007, 12:43 AM
Showing height, pot is 10cm tall plant height from crown to leaf 27cm

ILLUSN
Thu Jan 25, 2007, 12:45 AM
Baby bleheri

ILLUSN
Thu Jan 25, 2007, 12:47 AM
Thought I'd post up ics of my crazy marble queen, has just sent up a 3rd flower spike, i tried to pollenate these 2 flowers will let you know if I get seeds

ILLUSN
Thu Jan 25, 2007, 12:50 AM
Sorry scott, no plants for sale till september, trying to get up "breeding stock" for cross polination experiments, aiming for 80 plants 10 of each line before the end of winter.

scott bowler
Thu Jan 25, 2007, 02:12 AM
thats ok ILLUSN just thught i would get in first let me know when to put some up

ILLUSN
Thu Jan 25, 2007, 12:30 PM
No worries Scott Will do by september i expect to have for sale 10 species
Bleheri
Marble queen
Ozolet green
Green Flame
Red Flame
Devils Eye
Apart
Red October
Red Devil
Deep Purple

Maybe....
Horemanni Red
Horemanni green
Portoalegrensis (although apart looks the same and is MUCH eaiser to grow)
also Red Tiger and Red Malay Lotus

will give you first pick then proably dump the rest on the classifides
anyway we'll see how kind winter is to my plants :)

Fisher has this helped answer some of your propogatoion questions? will keep you posted as i move to larger scale propogation.

ILLUSN
Tue Nov 06, 2007, 11:00 AM
Sorry to steal the thread, but thought I'd put up an update.
got married this year and forgot about the plants at Dad's place. He was nice enough to remind me about them about 2 months ago.

Plants in the outdoor setup didn't handle winter too well.

All ozolet greens (6 plants) DEAD

All Red Flames (4 plants) DEAD

Amazonicus/Bleheri, survived but barley, still in the hospital tank recovering 50% of origional stock (11 plants) DEAD

Marble Queens ALIVE and not doing too bad, recovering in the hospital tank should be up for sale by christmas.

Devils Eye's ALIVE, recovering in hospital tank or in display tanks (some even on sale in the clasifides).

Lesson Learned. DONT LEAVE TROPICAL PLANTS OUT SIDE ALL WINTER!

Damn wedding!!
Jothy