PDA

View Full Version : Tank Leak - everything gone

Roy
Mon Jan 08, 2007, 09:24 PM
Got home last night to find the display tank in the lounge room completely empty.
160 odd ltrs of water all over the carpet and soaking up into the curtains :cry:
Went into crisis mode and started laying down the towels.
Fortunately it wasnt a discus tank, but it did have a bit of livestock in it:
20 rummynose tetras, 3 Julii corys, 3 sterbai corys and 2 BN.
Most of the stem plants were dried out and completely gone (metal halide lighting will do that) but the crypts were a little dry but had damp roots (thankyou remanants of rockwool). One anubias was complete mush, but the other two might survive, i propogated all 3 onto driftwood over the last 12 months, so will be rather unhappy if they go, lots of time to get them growing at a nice size.

Before (a few months old, had since added about another 6-8 crypts and planted the wallichi all the way to behind the right hand driftwood with cuttings, some awsome root growth on them when i cleaned up last night)

http://www.pbase.com/cmdr_roy/image/69031126.jpg

After (sorry about the reflection, light coming in the window and doors)

http://www.pbase.com/cmdr_roy/image/72783265.jpg

Loungeroom (stripped the tank down and moved all the couches out to another room until dried out)

http://www.pbase.com/cmdr_roy/image/72783267.jpg

Leftovers (split the sand and flourite out of the tank, seperated at a reasonable rate, bowl of crypts shown, got a big storage bin from Bunnings last night and replanted them all, took the opportunity to split some apart as they were getting large)

http://www.pbase.com/cmdr_roy/image/72783268.jpg

So what have i learnt, dodgy silicone job on the bottom was the fault, found it when i had drained the tank and moved it outside. Water does run uphill, if there are curtains available to assist it. I lost a lot of fish that i have spent the last 4 months growing, was really happy with the tank. I can grow plants :D the root systems on the wallichi and crypts were all developed and healthy, so i know i can do it again.

Where to from here....im not sure, pretty annoyed/upset/angry/depressed about it all right now, but i dont think i will give up. Need to get a new tank if i want to have one on display in the loungeroom, do i go another 4ft, or something a little smaller like a 3ft. I have a spare 2ft at home, but i dont think it will have the same visual appeal and impact, but would be easier to light and look after etc. So im at a crossroads regarding the tank and the idea of having one in the lounge room. If i get home tonight and find the discus have leapt to freedom im calling it quits.

Roy

sammigold
Mon Jan 08, 2007, 10:40 PM
OH Roy!!! That sounds disastrous... I really feel for you!

What a horrible thing to come home to!

Hope you get it all set up again soon... why not go bigger? Go a 6ft that would look cool!!

Good Luck! and I am sorry for your losses.

elvip
Mon Jan 08, 2007, 10:46 PM
Hi Roy,
Sorry to hear it :cry:
I know what it is like - I have had a similar thing happen to me - 200 odd litres all over the carpet- husband was not impressed too say the least!!! :shock:- luckily though I did not lose any fish.
But never say die - this is an opportunity to get a bigger and better tank!! :wink:
Good luck!
Cheers
Elvip

ellwa
Mon Jan 08, 2007, 11:45 PM
I'm sorry to hear that roy.
at Christmas time last year I came home to find the seem of my 40G had burst, and water pouring out onto the carpet. two days before we headed to the states for Christmas.

in the end, my discus ended up in the display tank at the hospital, and my brothers now exended up with my 8: syondontis euryptus, and my adult clown loaches, and my SAEs and all my planted woods.

then a trip to Minto to dalbard.

and they replaced the tank, out of warranty for us, because the LFS didn't want to know about us.

unlucky for them, because in the end, I spent about another $2000 setting it up again, and its all bussines that I would have taken up there, but didn't because of their poor attitude.

Looking back, I wish I'd paid a little extra money when I had the tank replaced, and put a Wier in it, and got the taller tank.

I'd go with the same size, or a bit bigger myself.

elliot.

ellwa
Tue Jan 09, 2007, 12:07 AM
I'm sorry to hear that roy.
at Christmas time last year I came home to find the seem of my 40G had burst, and water pouring out onto the carpet. two days before we headed to the states for Christmas.

in the end, my discus ended up in the display tank at the hospital, and my brothers now exended up with my 8: syondontis euryptus, and my adult clown loaches, and my SAEs and all my planted woods.

then a trip to Minto to dalbard.

and they replaced the tank, out of warranty for us, because the LFS didn't want to know about us.

unlucky for them, because in the end, I spent about another $2000 setting it up again, and its all bussines that I would have taken up there, but didn't because of their poor attitude.

Looking back, I wish I'd paid a little extra money when I had the tank replaced, and put a Wier in it, and got the taller tank.

I'd go with the same size, or a bit bigger myself.

elliot.